Oxyclean vs. Sight gauge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I think that must be a different reaction. My early homemade sight glasses were made from acrylic racking canes. I did many an unfiltered oxyclean soak with them without any cracks. They did tend to melt eventually though.

The mystery continues. I've now had the same piece of polycarb sitting in PBW for 21 days. I have to keep adding more tap water as it evaporates out of the cup. There has to be something very specific about some water supplies that cause it. At least we know that carbon filtering reduces the effect but I'm stumped. Carbon takes out organics.

FYI

I use Memphis tap water. This is artesian well water, very pure. They do add a lot of chlorine, though.

If carbon filtering helps, could this be a reaction between the chlorine and oyxclean?

My new glass should be in today. I'm sticking to hot water and a scrub brush for my BK from now on.

Not sure if it will help or not, but when I was selling plumbing fixtures, you always told people not to use scrubbing bubbles on any plastic handles or they would develop cracks. Maybe it is a similar reaction and you could look in that direction?

FYI

I use Memphis tap water. This is artesian well water, very pure. They do add a lot of chlorine, though.

If carbon filtering helps, could this be a reaction between the chlorine and oyxclean?

My new glass should be in today. I'm sticking to hot water and a scrub brush for my BK from now on.

I doubt it's chlorine. Almost everyone has chlorine in their water but only a few have this phenomena. It's something not many have in their water profile but removable by charcoal.

There may be a difference between chlorine and chloramine. I'm doing a side by side right now with some oxiclean and tap (chloramine) and some made from bottled water dosed with pool chlorine.

My sight tube did this same exact thing. A radial delamination and I doubt any themal shock or bump. I filled my BK and added oxiclean and left to soak overnight. Everything was fine. I was cleaning a fermenter when all of a sudden, the sight glass on the BK started to leak. My advice would be not to soak with oxiclean.

There may be a difference between chlorine and chloramine. I'm doing a side by side right now with some oxiclean and tap (chloramine) and some made from bottled water dosed with pool chlorine.

That's a good guess but I'd think we all have at least some chloramine and of course chlorine if we're on city water. I'm thinking it's something more esoteric. Prove me wrong though, I'm looking forward to the results.

our water is 8 ph out of the tap and was killing polycarbonate tubes when soaked. I pulled a pyrex tube and chrome armoring sleeve off of a 100 cup coffee urn and haven't had any problems since.

Its not any one vendors polycarbonate, its the material itself.

I wonder if the mystery reaction is somehow causing the exposed side of the material to expand or contract?

I wonder if the mystery reaction is somehow causing the exposed side of the material to expand or contract?

No, I think the plasticizers in the plastic are being depleted, leaving the plastic brittle. There are lots of different formulations used as plastisizers; this is what gives all plastics their flexibility. Plasticisers are not water soluble, so beer isn't going to accelerate their migration from the plastic. But they are subject to oxidative degradation, and this is what I suspect is causing the problem. Oxyclean is an oxidative cleaner. Probably heat exacerbates the effect.

I replaced my cracked and brittle sight glasses about 2 years ago (see this). I used to pump oxyclean through my BK overnight. Sometimes it would sit longer than that. I stopped doing that with my new sight glasses (Bobby's) and I haven't had any issue with them (they aren't as clean as I'd like, meh).

No, I think the plasticizers in the plastic are being depleted, leaving the plastic brittle. There are lots of different formulations used as plastisizers; this is what gives all plastics their flexibility. Plasticisers are not water soluble, so beer isn't going to accelerate their migration from the plastic. But they are subject to oxidative degradation, and this is what I suspect is causing the problem. Oxyclean is an oxidative cleaner. Probably heat exacerbates the effect.

I replaced my cracked and brittle sight glasses about 2 years ago (see this). I used to pump oxyclean through my BK overnight. Sometimes it would sit longer than that. I stopped doing that with my new sight glasses (Bobby's) and I haven't had any issue with them (they aren't as clean as I'd like, meh).

Keep in mind, the Oxyclean by itself doesn't seem to have an effect. It's the Oxyclean plus some ingredient that's in some but not all water supplies that's causing the problem. That ingredient also appears to be removable via charcoal filtration.

I have my new sight gauge installed now (Thank You, Bobby).

To make sure, I'll just avoid the oxy from now on.

Resurrecting an old thread with new data. I used my Keggle to circulate hot caustic through my plate chiller and noticed the same crazing. I was basically pumping Liquid Drano mixed in five gallons of 180-ish water. I only circulated for about an hour before I drained and rinsed. A couple days later I noticed a crack straight through the tube.

Back