Problems with my false bottom..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
just finished converting a Sanke keg into a brew kettle using a stainless false bottom..conversion went great...problem is now I cant get my diptube to pick up and drain any water..All the fittings are tight..Diptube is on floor of keg and for some reason its not working..If i open my valve and use my mouth to create suction it starts draining then stops..Help!!!!

When you say "on the floor" do you mean it's touching the bottom of the keg? That may be your issue. You'll need a little space there.

When you say "on the floor" do you mean it's touching the bottom of the keg? That may be your issue. You'll need a little space there.

Yeah it is touching the floor...i attached a 1/2" hose to the barb and siphoned it..It worked great like that...dont really wanna siphon every time to get it started though...

try filling the whole thing, sounds like you don't have enough head to force the water up the dip tube and out. I would cut the dip tube off the floor a bit too, I'm sure someone on here will speak up with a good distance from the bottom to be.

The water level needs to be high enough in the kettle that it's completely covering the outlet fitting to start the siphon. Having a hose connected to the output also helps considerably as it gives you more mass to continue the siphon.

You need to have a hose on the outside, after the valve. The hose needs to hang down farther than the bottom of the inside of the keggle. You are STILL siphoning with a diptube, so just like with a siphon, you need your outlet to be lower than your inlet.

Back