Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
After about 10 days, I just racked my apple cider into a clean carboy. I realized there is now more headspace in the new carboy. I'm worried about oxidizing my cider because there is no longer Co2 being produced. Do I need to top this up with boiled water or something or am I ok as is?

I personally would let it go as is. I've never done a cider before but when I've racked to a secondary with my beer even though I don't see my air lock raised it's been ok. Just my thoughts

Dude no worries. I make a lot of ciders and do the same. It will be fine. Just make sure it's sealed and it will slowly produce its own CO2.

I hope you guys are right. I almost threw a few oz of sugar in there to produce some CO2. Hope it clears soon so I can bottle.

When I think of what happens to an open bottle if commercial wine that's been

Jacktar said:
When I think of what happens to an open bottle if commercial wine that's been

Oops, it should read:

I think of the oxidation the occurs after a few days to an open bottle of commercial wine. Won't this happen to my wine in the carboy? Or, is there enough hidden activity to create the protective layer if CO2 that I lost while racking?

If you added some more sugar to produce CO2 you should be ok for a little bit. If planning to store cider over the long term in a carboy, it's important to fill all the way up to the next and I advise using sulfites to counteract oxidation, which is what makes wine gross after being opened too long.

LeBreton said:
I advise using sulfites to counteract oxidation, which is what makes wine gross after being opened too long.

How much potassium metabisulfate should I add and when? I've heard every second racking but I have no idea how much for a 1 gallon batch.

Back