Ideas on Keezer fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcsuck

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has any idea on how to fix my keezer. I built a keezer around a year ago and it was running perfectly at my old house. I recently moved to a new apartment, so to move my keezer, I unplugged it and let it sit for a few days, then moved it to my new place. It sat there turned off for about 2-3 weeks and then when I turned it on, it no longer cooled down. I can hear the compressor kick in when plugged in but the unit doesn't cool and then the compressor eventually turns off. If I feel the side where the compressor is, it gets pretty hot, but I never really paid attention to that much when it was working so I don't know if that has changed. My only idea is that it is out of coolant and needs to be refilled, but I have talked to two appliance repair people and they wont work on it because I have converted it from its original use. Also, I essentially built a cabinet and lid around it so I don't really want to try to find a freezer that will fit perfectly. I'll try to post some pictures. Any ideas would be great, I would really like to fix it asap.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

A compressor, if working properly, should not get so hot that you can feel it on the outside.

A compressor, if working properly, should not get so hot that you can feel it on the outside.

I think it's pretty normal to be able to feel the heat from the compressor itself, if you can touch the outside of the compressor.

ie: all of my fridges at home, if I touch the compressor while the compressor is running, I can feel warmth. If it gets to the point where it hurts to touch for more than a few seconds, that's not good...but if you can hold your hand directly on it you're fine.

You are probably right about it being out of coolant, but if you can't get a professional to do it, I think you are out of luck.

Maybe try advertising on Craig's List for a beer-lover who does appliance repair?

Just an aside, most modern chest freezers use the sidewalls for heat removal. Building a box with no air circulation can kill them fairly quickly.

It should be pretty easy to find a replacement; the same line of freezers are all the same size

You are probably right about it being out of coolant, but if you can't get a professional to do it, I think you are out of luck.

Maybe try advertising on Craig's List for a beer-lover who does appliance repair?

Just an aside, most modern chest freezers use the sidewalls for heat removal. Building a box with no air circulation can kill them fairly quickly.

Ya I called an appliance repair place in town and they wont even check it because I modified it from its original use. I guess I may be stuck with trying to find a new one. The ironic thing is when I moved it I bought a vent to put in the side, maybe it was too late.

I don't get the attitude of repair guys that won't touch a freezer just because it grew a skin 'n' stuff. If they spend an hour on it and pronounce it dead, they still gonna get paid, yes?

I design computing components for a living, and while most of my jobs are cutting edge good ideas with guaranteed markets and quite fun to do, every so often a client wants me to design something that I know is a really bad idea.

What do I do? I tell them that's a really bad idea, and when do you need it done?

Cheers! ;)

Ya I called an appliance repair place in town and they wont even check it because I modified it from its original use. I guess I may be stuck with trying to find a new one. The ironic thing is when I moved it I bought a vent to put in the side, maybe it was too late.

Call an independant. It seems unlikely that no one in Nashville will look at it.

Sorry for your hassle, no fun.

Back