Wyeast #2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast. Optimum temperature: 46-56° F.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchK9

Reaction score
I am going to brew the Northern Bock Lager on Sunday.
Search Results
The kit was ordered with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Yeast which has fermentation ranges of 46-56*. This will be my first lager, so I was wondering if I should just pick the middle temperature of the range 51* and lager at that, or with this yeast is a certain temperature the best? Any suggestions?

So ferment it at 51 for about 2-3 weeks and transfer to secondary and drop in the 30's for 2 months or so?

When I make it, I assume I need to get the wort to 51* before adding the yeast, correct?

Yes you can pitch at 51 degrees F but remember that for a lager you need 2 times the volume of viable yeast. You should make a starter for lagers. At the end of fermentation you may need a diacetyl rest. Taste the beer to see if it has a butter like taste. If not then you can lager.

Here's what I would do. Make a big starter or pitch 2-3 packs. Pitch the yeast at or near 51F, but stay as close to the lower end of 46F as you can for the bulk of the ferment. When you think the ferment is done, let it go a couple more days at the upper end 56F. I guess you could taste and see if the diacetyl rest is needed if you want to, I generally just go ahead and do the rest on principal.

Thanks everyone. I already got the starter going, so tomorrow I will be brewing.

The kit states it takes 3 months. I assume that is counting bottling time too. How long do you guys generally let your beer lager before you keg it?

Bumping an old thread. I have a Schwarzbier going two weeks with this yeast at around 51 degrees. The krauzen fell days ago but there is still bubbles popping on the surface of the beer as well as little circles of yeast. Should I wait to do a D-rest? How long can I wait?

Bumping an old thread. I have a Schwarzbier going two weeks with this yeast at around 51 degrees. The krauzen fell days ago but there is still bubbles popping on the surface of the beer as well as little circles of yeast. Should I wait to do a D-rest? How long can I wait?

You can do a diacetyl rest anytime you reached about 75% of your expected FG or so. If you're at 1.022 or less, it'd probably be fine to do the diacetyl rest now.

Back