What's your favorite song of all time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Me:

Can't Hardly Wait by The Replacements. If you know this band you are a refugee from the '80s like me! I listened to these guys incessantly in college and still love them. In college I was really into music and actually played guitar often in a garage, but was never in a garage band. In high school I was the clean cut athlete dude, but I heard these guys freshman year in college, grew my hair and got really into all kinds of music and other creative arts. This interest in creativity eventually got me into the graphic / web design field where I worked for about 15 years. Isn't it amazing how something little like a song can alter you life?

The Replacements broke up in the early 90's and the one ex-member you might have heard of is Tommy Stinson, who plays bass for GnR now. I last saw Paul Westerberg(lead singer who went solo) in 2006 in Portland on my birthday, with a bunch of college buddies, and it really brought it all back.

What's your story?

Last edited by a moderator:
New Slang by the Shins

Ever since the first time i heard the song, it always had some calming effect over me. About 5 years ago, a relationship (a 4 year one) I was in ended. This song got me through it.

Too many to call my one favorite, but I like Mike and the Mechanics, "In the Living Years".

Also, I like to sing Kenny Loggins, "Heart to Heart".

To me music is like beer - different songs/brews can be perfect for a situation, so much so that to say one is the best takes too much from the others.

Definitely tough to name just one but, Three Days by Jane's Addiction is a song that I never get sick of listening to. To me it's one of those epic songs that never gets old. In high school, my friends and I would blast this over and over while driving around, actually I'm pretty sure it was the first song I listened to while driving right after I got my license.

I have way too many I like, but for now I can say Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

That's a near impossible question to nail down definitely.

I'd probably have to say "Tunnel of Love" by Dire Straits is about my favorite. Ask me when I'm buzzed and I'm likely to say whatever the last song was I was jumping around like an idiot to...

ETA the video:
[youtube]LSHzga_DFxs[/youtube]
Knopfler's solo in that one is awesome.

I'd say I have three that are right up there.

Here's three ...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJxt17_dizE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJxt17_dizE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuQKYOxV_h0&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuQKYOxV_h0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Pretty much anything Johnny did.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8kswnqT-LY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8kswnqT-LY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Hard to pick just one.... but I'll have to go with a little "(Looking For The) Heart of Saturday Night"

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiW0PmjWdxM&feature=related[/ame]

(EDIT: That's not the best version ever recorded...)

A little different then most of the stuff posted. (hip-hop) Definitely my favorite artist, they have a lot of great songs.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc_0mSydeo&hl[/ame]

Mine is a Jimi Hendrix take on a Bob Dylan song:
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGy_7qTvjDs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGy_7qTvjDs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Most anything Elliot Smith for me... for the past year my favorite song of his has been King's Crossing.

I'll attach a video... which is really just the music to the song with a still picture since this song came out after his death:

Most anything Elliot Smith for me... for the past year my favorite song of his has been King's Crossing.

Wow, that was really interesting. I googled Elliot Smith because I have never heard of him, and he turns out to be from Portland?!?!?!

I'm almost positive that I saw Stranger than Fiction live once, at La Luna.

"I found that essence rare" Gang of Four

Must be played loud. The video only plays part of the song because this was before music videos.

If you think this just sounds like someone else, this came out in 1979. Who is copying who?

Just listen how tight the bass and guitar are. Innovative sound for the time.

Forrest

"I found that essence rare" Gang of Four
Must be played loud. The video only plays part of the song because this was before music videos.
If you think this just sounds like someone else, this came out in 1979. Who is copying who?
Just listen how tight the bass and guitar are. Innovative sound for the time.
Forrest

That song sounds nearly exactly like modern 'alternative'. Crazy!

{off to wiki Gang of Four}

There are SO many that are great, but WHen I think of my favourites, they are the ones that I stop what I am doing, turn up the radio and just LISTEN until it's over.

Wish You Were Here - Floyd
Sunday Morning Coming Down - Cash
Free Bird - Skynyrd
Tightrope - SRV
Stranglehold - Nugent
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain - Willie
Civil War - G&R
The entire "Hendrix Blues" Album

On this subject, I was listening to an interview with Dweezil Zappa on the KQRS (Minneapolis St PAul) Podcast last week and he made an interesting point about the music of his father's era.

He basically said that the music of that era was much more of an Art Form, than most music today is. In the same way that you needed to go to an art gallery to appreciate fine art, you needed to take the time to sit down, put a needle to vinyl and relax and LISTEN the art. Album covers were a major deal, as were album sleeves and of course the music was all about expressing oneself. Today, with the advent of ipods and MP3 players in cars and on the go, you don't have to take that break from your busy life to listen to music, talented or not.

Just as the internet has made it possible for you to Appreciate art without having to go look at it, Portable MP3 players have made it possbile for you listen to any music without APPRECIATING music. Just think about the difference between seeing a sculpture or a painting on your computer screen vs taking the time to go to a gallery and view the original.. and appreciate it with other people viewing it for the first time.. or the fiftieth time. No Comparison!

Music is very much the same:

I know I don't appreciate even the classics as much as I did when I used to put needle to vinyl, slap on the headphones and just relax and LISTEN.

That settles it... I am buying myself a turntable and some vinyl next weekend!

That song sounds nearly exactly like modern 'alternative'. Crazy!

{off to wiki Gang of Four}

Gang of Four are great. They've gone through a few different lineups, and they explored a few different genres along the way, including some eltectronica/disco and some experimental synth stuff, but I've read that they recently went back into the studio with the original lineup.

Gang of Four are great. They've gone through a few different lineups, and they explored a few different genres along the way, including some eltectronica/disco and some experimental synth stuff, but I've read that they recently went back into the studio with the original lineup.

They finally realized that thier 1st 2 albums were their best. the original line up got back together. They re-recorded the best of the first 2 albums on one album. Then they went on tour and I was fortunate enough to see them.

The concert was fantastic except for "That Guy" in the audience standing right behind me. You know the guy... Hawaiian shirt unbuttoned with the tuft of hair and a gold chain. Yelling "Wheeew" and "Rock and Roll" and "Play that thing" when there was a solo. They actually stopped playing to tell the guy to give them some respect and stop yelling.

Just found out that the bass player and drummer quit and now it is back to a gang of two.

Forrest

Mighty Mighty Bosstones .. either Bad in Plaid or Howwhywas Howwhyam

mike

I'm in the "music's like beer" camp. Too many good songs and too many different situations.

I *LOVE* The Clash though. Here's one of my fav's...
[youtube]EItsMk_fpYQ[/youtube]

Oh, and the Velvet Underground are phenominal. Sweet Jane was the first song that I heard by them, I quickly went out and bought a bunch of albums! (couldn't find a good version so here's some dudes covering it....)

[youtube]tKCMNt2s5d8[/youtube]

Too many to name. Leslie West (Mountain) with "Nantucket Sleighride" is great. But so is Steve Miller Band's "Jungle Love". There is also Pink Floyd "Comfortably Numb and "Time". The Eagles "Hotel California" is also a great one for road trips.

I find it really interesting that so many people have a definitive favorite song. With all that variety out there and how fitting some genres are to different moods, I can't possibly do it.

I might be able to name say my top 5-10 favorite albums (which inevitably are ones I enjoy listening to straight through on brew days). I might like some single songs much more than any of the ones on these albums but major props for putting a lot of GOOD songs all together. In no particular order:

Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall
Metallica's ...and Justice for All.
Pantera - Cowboy's From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power
GnR - Appetite and Illusion 1.
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Sublime (self titled)
Incubus- Make Yourself and Morning View
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Dang, see I'm already over the 10 I set out for.

Wow, that was really interesting. I googled Elliot Smith because I have never heard of him, and he turns out to be from Portland?!?!?!

I'm almost positive that I saw Stranger than Fiction live once, at La Luna.

Not from portland - maybe Eugene or Corvallis but here you go-

Band - Floater
Song - Mexican Bus

Every floater release is something I will listen to forever. These are the guys that introduced me to something other than metal.

Back