Star San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I used Starsan for the first time, and I have a question. Its suppost to be a no rinse sanitizer, I soaked my bottles and sanitized them, when I was pouring the water out, there was quite a few bubbles left behind. Almost like soapy bubbles. Is it ok to go ahead and bottle with those bubbles in there, or do they need to be rinsed out? I went ahead and rinsed them, just to be safe, but just wondering for next time.

DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!

Those bubbles are fine, and you actually undo the sanitizing by rinsing with tap water...although its a pretty low risk for infection...I wouldn't sweat it but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Residual star san won't affect beer flavor, aroma, or head retention.

Embrace the foam! Rack your beer right onto the bubbles - it'll be fine. Star San really is no rinse, so don't worry about the residual bubbles. I've never had any problems with it, and I've never heard of anyone else having problems. It's a great product, and not having to rinse makes every stage of brewing much, much easier.

According to everything I read Star-San in very limited quantities is also a yeast nutrient.

Back