Dirty Rotten Scoundrel - 100% Brett B Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast (Brettanomyces Bruxellensis) ‑ 5112
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 weeks | 67F
Tasting Notes
Mild hop-flavored beer with lots of funk in the aroma.
Title: Dirty Rotten Scoundrel - 100% Brett B Cascade Pale Ale
Author: Remmy

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.75 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.25%
IBU (tinseth): 36.52
SRM (morey): 5.66

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (90%)
.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5%)
.5 lb - Belgian - Caramel Pils (5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.29
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.23
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 17, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 3.5 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.4 qt/lb

YEAST:
Wyeast (Brettanomyces Bruxellensis) ‑ 5112
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 90%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 60 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 67 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
This is a very mild-tasting pale ale with a very funky aroma. It tastes drier than it is.

1912543_10153495342877178_5174304827849922067_n.jpg

Did you do secondary aging? Currently I plan on brewing an IPA with a 100%brett b fermentation within the next 3 to 4 weeks. I am leaning towards an all Citra and have played around with the idea of mangos in the secondary. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Could you give me some specifics on tasting notes. Did you do secondary aging? Currently I plan on brewing an IPA with a 100%brett b fermentation within the next 3 to 4 weeks. I am leaning towards an all Citra and have played around with the idea of mangos in the secondary. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

You should try reading the mad fermentationist blog. Most of your technical questions can be answered there.

Also not sure on the fruit since you'd probably want to get most of the hop aroma as soon as possible but there are claims that suggest otherwise.

Did you do secondary aging? Currently I plan on brewing an IPA with a 100%brett b fermentation within the next 3 to 4 weeks. I am leaning towards an all Citra and have played around with the idea of mangos in the secondary. Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

No secondary - I left this in the primary for a while and cold-crashed, so it had no problem clearing-up. I wanted to re-use the cake for another beer, too.

You should try reading the mad fermentationist blog. Most of your technical questions can be answered there.

Also not sure on the fruit since you'd probably want to get most of the hop aroma as soon as possible but there are claims that suggest otherwise.

themadfermentationist's blog is a great resource.

Regarding the comment about hop aroma, I agree. I would not hop this beer to death if you are planning on adding fruit to it. If one adds too much fruit, you will simply ruin the beer and most of the hops you've added will go to waste. If adding fruit, don't over-do it.

Back