DIY Sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
I thought since some things just go together, like Beer and German sausages, and since you lot are all do it yourselfers in the home brew vein, I would ask the question here.

Do any of you make your own sausages? I have searched high and low in every deli I can find here in AUS, and I cannot find a decent european sausage anywhere here. Not stick of summer sausage, ring sausage, or my favourite... Fresh Bratwurst!

If any of you do make your own, I would appreciate a recipe for fresh bratwurst that tastes anything like Johnsonville fresh brats.

this should be in the cooking/pairing section. that being said ask ed wort for bratwurst recipes or search the above thread

I've made my own sausage before, and it can have great results but the number one thing I ask you to remember is that lean meat is NOT your friend with sausage. Go with at least 25% fat.

Secondly, real casings are good. A stuffer is nice, but using your thumbs and a funnel is a right of passage, do it for at least pound of your sausage, just to appreciate the old ways.

Third, if it ain't pork it ain't sausage.

Anyways, enjoy,
Matt

I had this bookmarked from a smoking forum I frequent.

johnsonville clone.JPG

I used to drive by the Johnsonville plant on the way to work every day.

My father used to own a butcher shop, and I know all about how to handle natural casings and run a stuffer. Trouble is I don't have one.... I'll see how painful it is to do a batch without a stuffer, then probably go buy one if the batch turns our good.

Thanks again for this recipe, it's going to make for a GREAT day when I invite the mates over for a BBQ and brew tasting. They have never had anything as tasty as a proper fresh Brat with Mustard and Kraut.

PeteOz77 said:
... They have never had anything as tasty as a proper fresh Brat with Mustard and Kraut.
Definitely one of life's finer experiences.

PeteOz77 said:
If any of you do make your own, I would appreciate a recipe for fresh bratwurst that tastes anything like Johnsonville fresh brats.

Noooooooooooo! Trust me- Johnnyville is the WORST bratwurst on the market! It is the sausage world's answer to BMC!!!!!Unfortunately, even though I used to make bratwurst in thegrocery store in which I worked, I don't know what spices went into them, as we bought pre-packaged mixes.

Bernie Brewer said:
Noooooooooooo! Trust me- Johnnyville is the WORST bratwurst on the market! It is the sausage world's answer to BMC!!!!!Unfortunately, even though I used to make bratwurst in thegrocery store in which I worked, I don't know what spices went into them, as we bought pre-packaged mixes.

+1
I'm not a big Johnsonville fan either. Will always go for a local butchers before a Johnsonville, but even a Johnsonville is better than having no brats at all.

I have liked all the different kits I have got from the Sausage Maker, but their customer service sucks.

Bernie, if you ever get anywhere near Cumberland, WI Louies Finer Meats is where its at for great smoked meats.
It used to say on thier building "You might beat Louie's prices but you can't beat Louies meat"

Edit: I see they now ship & have a shopping cart

International 2007 Medal
Frankfurt Germany

2007 Awards..
International Gold Medal: Cotto Salami
International Gold Medal: Wisconsin Summer
International Gold Medal: Buffalo Salami
International Gold Medal: Skinless Wiener
International Gold Medal: Jalapeno Snack Stick
International Gold Medal: Hunters Sausage
International Silver Medal: Smoked Bratwurst w/Jalapeno & Cheese
International Silver Medal: Summer Sausage
International Bronze Medal: Smoked Italian
National Reserve Grand Champion: Jalapeno Snack Stix
National Reserve Grand Champion: Beer Salami
National Champion: Skinless Wiener
National Reserve Grand Champion: Pre-cooked Jalapeno & Cheddar Brat
State Reserve Grand Champion: Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pork
State Reserve Grand Champion: Pork & Turkey Loaf
State Champion: Italian Sausage
State Champion: Turkey Salami
State Champion: Cumberland Steak
State Champion: Peppered Loaf
State Reserve Champion: Ring Bologna
State Reserve Champion: Lebanon Bologna
State Reserve Champion: Ring Liver

7923-1085.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
+1
I'm not a big Johnsonville fan either. Will always go for a local butchers before a Johnsonville, but even a Johnsonville is better than having no brats at all.

I have liked all the different kits I have got from the Sausage Maker, but their customer service sucks.

Bernie, if you ever get anywhere near Cumberland, WI Louies Finer Meats is where its at for great smoked meats.
It used to say on thier building "You might beat Louie's prices but you can't beat Louies meat"

Edit: I see they now ship & have a shopping cart

International 2007 Medal
Frankfurt Germany

2007 Awards..
International Gold Medal: Cotto Salami
International Gold Medal: Wisconsin Summer
International Gold Medal: Buffalo Salami
International Gold Medal: Skinless Wiener
International Gold Medal: Jalapeno Snack Stick
International Gold Medal: Hunters Sausage
International Silver Medal: Smoked Bratwurst w/Jalapeno & Cheese
International Silver Medal: Summer Sausage
International Bronze Medal: Smoked Italian
National Reserve Grand Champion: Jalapeno Snack Stix
National Reserve Grand Champion: Beer Salami
National Champion: Skinless Wiener
National Reserve Grand Champion: Pre-cooked Jalapeno & Cheddar Brat
State Reserve Grand Champion: Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pork
State Reserve Grand Champion: Pork & Turkey Loaf
State Champion: Italian Sausage
State Champion: Turkey Salami
State Champion: Cumberland Steak
State Champion: Peppered Loaf
State Reserve Champion: Ring Bologna
State Reserve Champion: Lebanon Bologna
State Reserve Champion: Ring Liver

7923-1085.jpg

I'm sure it's good stuff, Brew, but my grandfather opened a meat market in Mount Calvary WI in 1925, and two generations later it is now owned by my cousin and I won't go anywhere else.:)

http://www.ablermeat.com/index.html

The website is all about wild game processing, but he does regular stuff, too.
Oh, and my cousin used to have t-shirts printed with the same slogan........;)

The point is, this kind of stuff is just like beer: There are tons of local guys around that do it much better than the big guys. You pay more, but it's worth it. You want good sausage? Go to the local butcher shop on the corner. Good bakery? Go to the baker that is next door to the butcher. Etc, Etc

Unfortunately, if you have neither a local butcher OR bakery, one does what one can. The OP mentioned that he can't get European-style sausage in his area at all.

If there are any butchers in Northwestern Oregon, they must depend on word of mouth for business. I have yet to see one or an ad or a listing in the phone book. The local baker only sells to the chain supers, not even the local store a block away from him can get his goods. I've had some fine brats in Wisconsin, but zero luck finding anything here. And I'd sell my non-existent soul for a line on some local New York Deli-style Italian Hots. My business partner mails them from California.

Bernie Brewer said:
I'm sure it's good stuff, Brew, but my grandfather opened a meat market in Mount Calvary WI in 1925, and two generations later it is now owned by my cousin and I won't go anywhere else.:)

http://www.ablermeat.com/index.html

The website is all about wild game processing, but he does regular stuff, too.
Oh, and my cousin used to have t-shirts printed with the same slogan........;)

The point is, this kind of stuff is just like beer: There are tons of local guys around that do it much better than the big guys. You pay more, but it's worth it. You want good sausage? Go to the local butcher shop on the corner. Good bakery? Go to the baker that is next door to the butcher. Etc, Etc

I have had stuff from there (all very good), used to live in West Bend and still own a sports shop in Slinger. Lots of guys take their venison up there. They had a wild game feed at the sports shop Saturday.

Bernie Brewer said:

Mate there are NO Bratwurst on the market that I can find in Australia. I have had a few Italian Pork Sausages etc, but most foods here are pretty bland.

I'll start with the Johnsonville recipe and modify from there. I plan to make a good sized batch, then split it up into at least 5 different mixes, some with Haberneros, some with cracked black pepper, some with onions and coriander etc. I'm sure I will stumble across something I like. When I do, I'll let you guys know. Going out to purchase a grinder/stuffer today.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Pete, hope your brats turn out good. Just curious, though-- are you a recent transplant to Australia? If so, what brought you there, and where did you live before?

I have been here for the better part of 10 years now. My wife is Australian (and yes, she's Hot!) and we agreed to stay here for at least 10 years, then maybe go have a working holiday back in USA.

I'm from Southern Minnesota Originally.. only 10 or so miles away from this wonderful place...

http://www.schellsbrewery.com

SuperiorBrew said:
I have had stuff from there (all very good), used to live in West Bend and still own a sports shop in Slinger. Lots of guys take their venison up there. They had a wild game feed at the sports shop Saturday.

Huh- small world!

PeteOz77 said:
Mate there are NO Bratwurst on the market that I can find in Australia. I have had a few Italian Pork Sausages etc, but most foods here are pretty bland.

I'll start with the Johnsonville recipe and modify from there. I plan to make a good sized batch, then split it up into at least 5 different mixes, some with Haberneros, some with cracked black pepper, some with onions and coriander etc. I'm sure I will stumble across something I like. When I do, I'll let you guys know. Going out to purchase a grinder/stuffer today.

I only meant that trying to clone Johnnyville brats is like trying to clone BMC- you can do better. But you're right- you do indeed need a place to start. Good luck.

I am with BB from the standpoint that if Johnsonvilles are what you like, so be it. But like BMC they are cheap. Why go to the trouble if you can buy them?

Now if you were doing a jalapeno bratwurst off of their recipe you would have my respect and understanding!

With all due respect Orfy, neither of those links are about recipes for making your own sausages. Please report yourself to yourself for being so off topic.

cheezydemon said:
With all due respect Orfy, neither of those links are about recipes for making your own sausages. Please report yourself to yourself for being so off topic.

I think your smoking crack there son. The second link seems pretty damn sweet from a diy stand point.

I just bought a sausage making book off Amazon called Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. It is loaded with info on sausage making from equipment to ingredients and procedure. It includes a recipe for bratwurst.

I definitely recommend buying a meat grinder of stuffer, I picked up a Porkert grinder at a garage sale for 5 bucks, with the original receipt, purchase price $35.00 US.

Sure it's off topic, but I can't think of anything that goes better with beer than homemade sausage...'cept maybe football.

shanehpdx said:
I just bought a sausage making book off Amazon called Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. It is loaded with info on sausage making from equipment to ingredients and procedure. It includes a recipe for bratwurst.

I definitely recommend buying a meat grinder of stuffer, I picked up a Porkert grinder at a garage sale for 5 bucks, with the original receipt, purchase price $35.00 US.

Sure it's off topic, but I can't think of anything that goes better with beer than homemade sausage...'cept maybe football.

Ahh meat curing...one of my other passions. How is that book, I mean is it highly technical? I have about 10lbs of salami in that just entered the drying phase.

Welcome to the forums! :D

PeteOz77 said:
Do any of you make your own sausages? I have searched high and low in every deli I can find here in AUS, and I cannot find a decent european sausage anywhere here. Not stick of summer sausage, ring sausage, or my favourite... Fresh Bratwurst!

If you are interested in making your own sausage, run to your local bookstore or click your mouse as quickly as you can to purchase Charcuterie: The craft of salting, smoking, and curing. This the first serious update of sausage making/curing information in many, many years. Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn did an excellent job with this book. The recipes range from absurdly simple to painstakingly complex. More importantly, the principles behind sausage making and curing are well explained so you know why you are doing something. Good stuff.

By the way, the chicken/sundried tomato/basil sausage is amazing, though a little heavy on the salt if you follow the recipe to the letter.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
cheezydemon said:

They look like it to me. Am I missing something.

shanehpdx said:

That is a great book, it is to sausage making what How to Brew is to Homebrew making. I also have his video, not very good production wise but not bad overall.

Chad said:
If you are interested in making your own sausage, run to your local bookstore or click your mouse as quickly as you can to purchase Charcuterie: The craft of salting, smoking, and curing. This the first serious update of sausage making/curing information in many, many years. Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn did an excellent job with this book. The recipes range from absurdly simple to painstakingly complex. More importantly, the principles behind sausage making and curing are well explained so you know why you are doing something. Good stuff.

By the way, the chicken/sundried tomato/basil sausage is amazing, though a little heavy on the salt if you follow the recipe to the letter.

Chad

Thanks for the tip!

I actually understand the process very well, as my father owned a butcher shop, and I worked for him when I was a young fella. He made AWESOME summer sausage and "country Style" ring sausage that had people driving 2 hours to purchase. He also processed over 100 deer every season. But, he didn't get too excited about trying new recipes... 2 types of Summer Sausage (regular and Garlic), 2 types of ring sausage (country style and bologna) 2 types of links (Pork (OK, but not Brats) and Polish (Beef)). He also cured and smoked his own hams, turkeys, bacon etc etc.

He's retired now and still has a smoker made out of a walk in cooler, and processes deer and smokes meats and fish for people out of his shed. But he still doesn't have a good Bratwurst recipe. Well, maybe he does.. and just doesn't make brats. Maybe I should check with him eh? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
SuperiorBrew said:
Originally Posted by shanehpdx

That is a great book, it is to sausage making what How to Brew is to Homebrew making. I also have his video, not very good production wise but not bad overall.

Interesting. I might have to pick those up. Thanks for the heads up.

Chad

orfy said:
They look like it to me. Am I missing something.

I wasn't serious, but those links wer on how to cook sausage, not recipes for what to stuff the casings with way before you cook them...

cheezydemon said:
I wasn't serious, but those links wer on how to cook sausage, not recipes for what to stuff the casings with way before you cook them...

um, you need to look a little closer.

Ahh! The fist one wasn't and at a glanc the second didn't look like it either, I didn't see the links...(no pun intended)

My bad.

I've made sausages a few times and I got to tell you, it's not only fun, but they taste way better than what you can get at the store. First off, as it was stated before, lean is bad. I tried being "good" and making less fatty sausages... WRONG! nothing but shoe leather. Instead, grind your own meat for the best freshness and use back fat or other straight up fat into the grind to adjust your fat/lean ratio. Also, try not to use the artificial collagen casings, at least I've had nothing but problems with them, I just go to a Mexican grocery store and get the hog casings for dirt cheap. Here's a PDF of a ton of recipes. I have not tried most of them but it'll give ya'll a good start.

Also, try not to use the artificial collagen casings, at least I've had nothing but problems with them

I can verify this statement. Natural Hog casings were FAR better in every way. Just need to soak overnight and they work great. Collagen don't stretch, so they burst if you try to twist off your sausage into links, and they burst when cooked.

With regard to the bratwurst - I grew up in Sheboygan, WI. The tradition there, for big gatherings, was to place them in the beer bath after grilling.

Grilling would start about an hour before food service began. By the time the counters opened, those vats would have hundreds of brats swimming around in them, hot and ready to go. Nobody had to wait for the next batch to be done. And they were served 2 per bun, in hard crusted Semmel rolls.

Now if somebody has a recipe for Kranske...........It's smoked (I think), coarse ground, and gets boiled until the fat collects in scalding blisters under the skin. I remember eating them as a child, and getting burned by the flying fat. It was totally worth it.

Back