Bock Extract kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenator

Reaction score
I recieved a "True Brew" extract kit for Xmas which is an American Style Bock. My question is this, isn't this a lager beer? If so I have no way of fermenting at those colder temps at this point in time. I assume since this is a kit & it says nothing about fermenting at lager temps its just an ale version but I thought that a bock was in the lager style?? It was packages with the yellow Munton's Active Yeast pack which I also assume is an ale yeast.

I do have a vial of White Labs WLP029 that I might use in place of the included Munton's pack but this is also an ale yeast strain but seems to be like a midpoint between lager and ale yeast??

Guess my question is should I return this for an ale kit??

I ran across a few online bock recipes using hte WLP029 ale yeast, should I just go for it?

Thanks!

extract kit from my local brew shop. They recommended White Labs San Francisco Lager Yeast #810, which can be fermented at room temp. That is what I am doing.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a flippin' nOOb.:drunk:

The Bone2 said:
extract kit from my local brew shop. They recommended White Labs San Francisco Lager Yeast #810, which can be fermented at room temp. That is what I am doing.

Don't listen to me though, I'm a flippin' nOOb.:drunk:

Thanks for the advice Bone2! Great info! Anyone else object to me using the
WLP029 since I already have that in my possesion? Or should I scrap that idea and listen to the Bone2?!

Thanks again!

All the True Brew kits (according to my LHBS owner) are ale strains, so fermenting that obviously will not provide the necessary lager characteristics. Go with the WLP strain and ferment it as cold as you can; maybe cool the carboy down with cool towels, etc. It will be a lot of work, but will be worth it.

Latest posts

Back