Just Washed yeast now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher123

Reaction score
I just did my first yeast wash. I am confused how to re-pitch it. I washed some WLP209 from a Kolsh that I had under pitched. It was my first time using liquid yeast and didn't think I need a starter. My OG. was 1.046 and my FG. after 3 weeks in primary was 1.009, beer tastes great, so tragedy avoided! I racked the beer about a week ago and the yeast sat in my primary for a week under 1" of beer, and then washed it two days ago, and this is what I have now!
I want to use this yeast next week for the same Kolsh, I am confused what to pitch. Can I just use the yeast in the jars? If so how much? Do I need a starter, If so how much of this yeast do I use? I dont have a stirplate!

IMG_20130310_103022.jpg

you pitch the tan layer at the bottom. when you're ready pour off most of the clear stuff (beer), but leave enough to swirl the yeast up into suspension.

Use that yeast "Slurry" to make a starter on your stir plate.

Sorry i thought you said you "did" have a stir plate.

You don't need one. just swirl it avery hour or so.

you pitch the tan layer at the bottom. when you're ready pour off most of the clear stuff (beer), but leave enough to swirl the yeast up into suspension.

Use that yeast "Slurry" to make a starter on your stir plate.

I understand to use the yeast on the bottom, but how much do I need? Do I need a tarter or can I just pitch that yeast?

After a week or two you should make a starter. If reusing it sooner than that you should be ok just pitching the slurry from one of those jars.

You do not have to do atarter if the Beer is not going to be High gravity. But The frementation may take longer to start. You will get a quick start almost always with a good starter.

OH, I am by no means and expert! fairly new to this whole idea. I usally do the starter, becuase I am doing a lager.

so how much of this should i pitch if not using a starter?

Have you stored your rinsed yeast in the refrigerator? If not refrigerate it to drop more of the yeast out of solution. After the solutions have been refrigerated for about five days, or longer, they can be combined. Leave enough rinse liquid in each jar to swirl the yeast into a solution so it pours easy. Remember sterilize.
http://www.yeastcalc.com/indexupdate.html http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php
Estmate the amount of yeast you have in milliliters. I used the ml markings on a measuring cup to mark a pint jelly jar for a rough estimate of mls. Use YeastCalc and Mrmalty to estimate the number of viable cells in your rinsed yeast and how many cells/ml you need to pitch. The production date for the yeast will be roughly the day fermentation ended.
Come back if I confused you.

Have you stored your rinsed yeast in the refrigerator? If not refrigerate it to drop more of the yeast out of solution. After the solutions have been refrigerated for about five days, or longer, they can be combined. Leave enough rinse liquid in each jar to swirl the yeast into a solution so it pours easy. Remember sterilize.
http://www.yeastcalc.com/indexupdate.html http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php
Estmate the amount of yeast you have in milliliters. I used the ml markings on a measuring cup to mark a pint jelly jar for a rough estimate of mls. Use YeastCalc and Mrmalty to estimate the number of viable cells in your rinsed yeast and how many cells/ml you need to pitch. The production date for the yeast will be roughly the day fermentation ended.
Come back if I confused you.
Yes it has been refrigerated. According to mrmalty, I need 136ml of yeast for slurry. There is an oz in each jar so all three jars together are only 90 ml. That's not enough correct?

Yes it has been refrigerated. According to mrmalty, I need 136ml of yeast for slurry. There is an oz in each jar so all three jars together are only 90 ml. That's not enough correct?

First use Mr. Malty to calculate the viable number of yeast cells in what you have in those jars. You have the volume of the slurry, now you have to check the approximate cell count.

I would make a starter in any case--that way you can pitch active yeast. Throw the yeast from all three jars in the starter. Shaking is fine (but think about getting a stirplate--one of the best things you can do for your beer). Put the starter in the fridge the night before (or, if you forget, the morning of) your brewday. If you have more slurry than you think you need, pitch some and wash the rest. I don't think overpitching will be a problem, though.

According to mrmalty the 90ml of 60% viability is half of what I need how do I get to the 237 billion cells I need? And how the hell did the 100 billion from the original smack pack finish the original beer?

According to mrmalty the 90ml of 60% viability is half of what I need how do I get to the 237 billion cells I need? And how the hell did the 100 billion from the original smack pack finish the original beer?

Your original beer was 1.046. With fresh yeast you normally don't need a starter until you approach 1.060. I entered this into malty: Repitching from slurry tab. 1.046 OG. 5.0 gallons. Production date 3/3/2013. Used standard settings for yeast concentration and yeast percentage. Comes up with 90ml needed.

Actually batch size is 5.5 gallon beer was done on 02/24/2013 it sat for another couple of weeks after finished. O.G. Is supposed to be. 052 I had a low boiloff that day so I only hit 1.046. So from that production date size and og I need 173ml and 237 billion cells!

Ok, I'm going to make a confession here. Mr. Malty be damned. I make starters, sometimes stepping them up if the brew is big or the yeast is old and then--hit my mash targets, add yeast nutrient, aerate the wort really well, control fermentation temperatures, and...my beer turns out delicious and attenuated to expectations. Our yeast labs our great, and if your fridge keeps good temperatures, I think the yeast degradation calculus on Mr. Malty is way out of whack. I used when I first started, never since, and have never had a problem.

Actually batch size is 5.5 gallon beer was done on 02/24/2013 it sat for another couple of weeks after finished. O.G. Is supposed to be. 052 I had a low boiloff that day so I only hit 1.046. So from that production date size and og I need 173ml and 237 billion cells!

I come up with different numbers. Unless I'm missing a lot, a one liter starter should be more than sufficient for your next brew. Check out these notes for malty.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/repitch.html

I tried this to, but the link won't show your data.
You have approximately180 billion cells; 87% viability. Viable cells 156.6 billion.
You need 200 billion cells.
A 1 liter starter with intermittent shaking will give you 251 billion cells.
I estimated 2 billion cells per milliliter for fresh yeast.
I have been worrying about this also. I've just started repitching yeast.

I just Bit the bullet and spent $9 on ebay on the parts for a stir plate, LOL! It's amazing how much crap I have built for next to nothing or free for this hobby!

mr malty.jpg

Latest posts

Back