Rereacking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjsismyhero

Reaction score
I was just reading about reracking and I was just wondering if its better to get buckets (if not going to use a glass carboy) from a home brew company or can I just get a bucket from Home Depot or something like that?

What's reracking? I've heard of people getting buckets from Home Depot. It's probably fine, just clean and sanitize.

Might be wrong terminology but it's when you move your brew to multiple buckets during fermentation to reduce on the amount of sediment it the final product. My boss is a home brewer also and use it.

Unless you're planning on leaving the beer on the yeast for over a month, I wouldn't rack it. Chance of infection, filtration is better for clearing.

Unless you're planning on leaving the beer on the yeast for over a month, I wouldn't rack it. Chance of infection, filtration is better for clearing.

+1. Most people call this racking to a secondary, and in my opinion it is rarely necessary. I only do it if I'm aging for more than 3 months or adding fruit or something. There's no use using a secondary as long as you're careful not to pick up sediment from the bottom when you're racking to the bottling bucket from the primary.

Back