SG Increase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_m

Reaction score
Have has my ipa in primary for 10 days now. No bubbles through the airlock.

Been taking gravity readings no the less for the abv reading

Two days ago the SG was 1.050 but now seems to have gone up to 1.015.

Is there an obvious explanation for this

Hi Billy. That would be a decrease in gravity, from 1.050 to 1.015, which is where you want it to be heading. Before you add the yeast, you take a gravity reading which will include all the sugars in your wort. Then, as the yeast eats up the sugars, the gravity will decrease and the hydrometer reading will get closer to 1.000 For example, the most recent beer I brewed was the White House Honey Ale and my original gravity was 1.053 and the final gravity was 1.008.

Hope this helps and good luck on your brew!

Sorry I made a mistake in my numbers there. The initial reading was 1.005 then two days later 1.015

This is strange, no way that gravity could increase during fermentation.
How did you measured it, hydrometer or refractometer?
It is probably some kind of measurement error.. either reading or instrument were fault.

This was probably an extract recipe? Best guess is your original measurement was taken with mostly top off water rather than your sugary wort. Now that it is fermenting and the wort is getting churned around by the yeast activity, it is getting mixed and now your reading is more accurate of the full batch. Unfortunately there is no way to know your OG for sure at this point. If it was extract, you should have hit the recipe OG. Next time make sure to mix really well before taking your OG reading.

I'll go with a reading or measurement error on your 1.005 reading, too. In any case, you know that the gravity didn't increase during fermentation!

I guess it must have been a measurement reading. I didn't think there would be an increase in gravity after 2 days.
I guess I will take another tomorrow and look for the off reading

Back