What do.bb you all think of this muscadine wine recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
Never made wine before. I got 15 vines at the house and tons of grapes. I found this recipe and started a few days ago. It doesnt call for alot of the stuff I read yall using on here. The people ive read use the recipe say it turns out good. Guess we will see.

**This is 1/2 muscadine, 1/2 Scupper, 100% wild muscadine is the best**
1. Clean berries in clean unchlorinated water.
2. Crush/bust all berries (several at a time)
"easily done with a large cup or glass in a large bowl"
3. Put berries "hulls & all" into large plastic fermenter.
(the large water-cooler bottles are excellent)
4. Dissolve 3 pounds of cane sugar in just enough hot "un-chlorinated" water to make it pourable, and add. Add a little extra water "only" if needed to cover berries.
5. Stir the berries and the sugar together in the fermenter. "a dowel rod works well"
6. Cap the jug/bucket snuggly with a plastic bag or a (balloon if using water jug).*GNATS WILL RUIN YOUR WORK
7. Put a pinhole in balloon or bag to allow gases to escape.
8. Put your mash in an area that gets no cooler than 70 degrees and no hotter than 85. A basement works well.
9. Natural occurring yeast will ferment the concoction.
10. After 2 weeks strain the entire contents through a clean cloth, a "clean pillowcase works well"
11. Throw away contents in the woods, as it will contain many seeds that will still sprout.
12. Wash container and pour liquid contents back into fermenter and add 2 more pounds of "dry" sugar.
13. After 2 more weeks the fermentation should come close to stopping.
14. Siphon off wine from the top with a small tube into bottles or jars making sure that you don't "upset" the settlings in the bottom. If you do, no big deal.
15. Store jars in a dark cool place and open them slowly once a week to release any pressure.
16. Enjoy as needed.

Bnew17 said:
Never made wine before. I got 15 vines at the hoise and tons of grapes. I found this recipe and started a few days ago. It doesnt call for alot of the stuff I read yall using on here. The people ive read use the recipe say it turns out good. Guess we will see.

**This is 1/2 muscadine, 1/2 Scupper, 100% wild muscadine is the best**
1. Clean berries in clean unchlorinated water.
2. Crush/bust all berries (several at a time)
"easily done with a large cup or glass in a large bowl"
3. Put berries "hulls & all" into large plastic fermenter.
(the large water-cooler bottles are excellent)
4. Dissolve 3 pounds of cane sugar in just enough hot "un-chlorinated" water to make it pourable, and add. Add a little extra water "only" if needed to cover berries.
5. Stir the berries and the sugar together in the fermenter. "a dowel rod works well"
6. Cap the jug/bucket snuggly with a plastic bag or a (balloon if using water jug).*GNATS WILL RUIN YOUR WORK
7. Put a pinhole in balloon or bag to allow gases to escape.
8. Put your mash in an area that gets no cooler than 70 degrees and no hotter than 85. A basement works well.
9. Natural occurring yeast will ferment the concoction.
10. After 2 weeks strain the entire contents through a clean cloth, a "clean pillowcase works well"
11. Throw away contents in the woods, as it will contain many seeds that will still sprout.
12. Wash container and pour liquid contents back into fermenter and add 2 more pounds of "dry" sugar.
13. After 2 more weeks the fermentation should come close to stopping.
14. Siphon off wine from the top with a small tube into bottles or jars making sure that you don't "upset" the settlings in the bottom. If you do, no big deal.
15. Store jars in a dark cool place and open them slowly once a week to release any pressure.
16. Enjoy as needed.

I would suggest getting some wine yeast. Wild yeast is unreliable and your hard work could be for nothing.

everything is going good. its nice to do things the old fashioned way without all this fancy equipment . Will up date on finished product.

Latest posts

Back