Funny smell in finshed product

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stalewater

Reaction score
So I brewed a RIS from a recipe I found on HBT. It called for a whitelabs 002 I think but my LHBS only carries wyeast. THe substitue was 1968 esb? Witch I thought was strange but i went with it cuz the stout was a award winner. Long story short I didn't hit the abv i was looking for despite me doing everything i could and now there is a funny almost bad milk smell in the stout. I cant pin it down. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, we're going to need a lot more details here. Recipe, OG/FG, fermentation temp, mash temp, primary/secondary, etc.

Sorry, It's AG . OG 1.083 FG 1.018, Bottled for Three weeks now in bombers. Reciepe was here on HBT dont have it in hand i think it was 16lbs 2row and some other ****LOL.
mash temp was 155 for an hour or so ferm. temp was low 70's. I've never used this yeast before and it called for a long diacetyl rest so it sat in the primary for a month or so i then brewed a Southern english brown with the same strain and no problems. It taste great and old milk might not be the best way to describe it but there is something there i cant pin it down.

Back