Paulasaurus's Hops Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
I thought i'd start by posting up a few pictures of my past hop gardens dating back to when my first Cascade plant went into the ground in 2009. I started with a 7 foot trellis with ropes run up to about 9' on the back of my shed.

Here are some random pictures from my garden in 2009...

hopgarden1_2009.jpg

hopgarden2_2009.jpg

hopgarden3_2009.jpg

hopgarden4_2009.jpg

And onto the 2011 growing season, at this time I have Cascade, Columbus, Centennial, Chinook, Zeus, Nugget, and Fuggle. Also built a larger trellis, about 10'. The remainder of the plants were growing on the shed...

hopgarden1_2011.jpg

hopgarden2_2011.jpg

hopgarden3_2011.jpg

hopgarden4_2011.jpg

hopgarden5_2011.jpg

In 2012 I moved to a new house and had to transplant all my plants. Went well as expected and all plants are showing signs of life and growing strong, aside from my Zeus which may have spent too much time out of soil but I haven't given up on him yet.

Here are the crowns I dug up, the monster on the left is my Cascade that i've had since 2009, it was a huge!

I've since built a pergola at the new place and all plants are snug in their dirt holes and or planters and ropes are strung for climbing. Pictures of the pergola build will be posted tomorrow morning.

Current plants in my garden are- Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Nugget, Fuggle, Zeus(if he pulls through), and a "mystery" hop.

roots.jpg

Beautiful! You sir, have quite the green thumb. I've had some big crowns before, but lost everything one year (15 varieties! one crown of each) when a fungal pathogen came through and slaughtered my babies..

WOW!!! Great pics. If mine turn out half as nice as yours did, I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks for sharing such neat pictures.

Thank you both, its been a great hoppy adventure and am happy to have my new setup ready to go at the new place. It was fairly high on the priority list so i'm now a bit behind on assembling the kids playset and the shed. But at least ropes are up and i'm ready for the 2012 season!

Here are pictures of the pergola I built at the new house. Total height is 13', width is 7.5', and length is 12'. Length and width not including the overhangs.

Pergola7.jpg

Pergola8.jpg

Pergola9.jpg

Pergola10.jpg

Awesome dedication and picture quality!!! That looks like the perfect spot for growing. Do you have boxes around your plants- are there any "walls" in the ground to keep the rhizomes from taking over your yard?

Awesome dedication and picture quality!!! That looks like the perfect spot for growing. Do you have boxes around your plants- are there any "walls" in the ground to keep the rhizomes from taking over your yard?

I used 2x12 boxes in my past gardens and the hops still found ways around and through so this time around I dug in a 24 mil plastic barrier 16" deep between all the plants. On the outside however there is nothing but a couple stacked landscape timbers. I'm fairly religious about my rhizome harvesting so i'm not overly worried about escaping or spreading plants. Although if a few extra seem to pop up here or there I guess that just means more hops for my beer!

:rockin:

I gotta say that picture was pretty good (one with the beer glass). It says it all!!!! I am glad to see that you had to move and could take the hops with you. I just started my garden this year and may be moving in 2. I would be interrested in updates on how things go since the move. Keep up the good work!

I gotta say that picture was pretty good (one with the beer glass). It says it all!!!! I am glad to see that you had to move and could take the hops with you. I just started my garden this year and may be moving in 2. I would be interrested in updates on how things go since the move. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I wasn't able to get the crowns into the ground immediately and I think my Zeus took the most beating and have yet to see any signs of life from it. In fact the 3 bines that were coming up have drooped and turned brown so its not looking good. But i'm not giving up, they are exceptionally resilient and no matter what you do to them its only likely to piss them off which results in them coming back even stronger.

I am expecting a harvest this year but not nearly what it will be next after they've gotten used to their new home. The soil is a bit sandier at the new place so drainage will be good and i'll continue to top off the mounds with top soil as it settles and washes away. I'll keep this thread updated with pictures as the season goes on.

Here's a picture of one of the Cascade bines, most are the size of my pinky and look like something out of a Burton film.

Bine.jpg

I see in your first few pics you had them go up then grow horizontally. Did that seem to work ok? I am planting for the first time but am hesitant about putting up a huge tower in my backyard.

I see in your first few pics you had them go up then grow horizontally. Did that seem to work ok? I am planting for the first time but am hesitant about putting up a huge tower in my backyard.

It worked ok but it took a lot of training and I could tell that growth slowed a bit. They want to go up, straight up and will try to do so no matter what. I'd say the steeper angle in your rope the better.

Check out Gridlocked's "Hop project" thread, he's been growing a Chinook plant along a chain link fence for the past few seasons with good results. He stays on top of it and trains the bines back down constantly but it produces very well. You can also see his hop garden in Brewing TV's episode 44 -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfR7MUxhwQE

I have two plants on a chain link fence and they do well.

The Chinook below is the larger and more aggressive of the two.
The pic is nearing harvest last year - it's 2nd year.
Harvesting on the fence is *SWEEET*
DSC_9736.jpg

Finally an update!

The hops are finally starting to take off with the stable weather that we're finally seeing here in MN. The Cascade is trained and has now climbed to 4'. The Centennial has also trained 4 bines and the Chinook and Columbus are getting there. My Zeus also busted through the soil with 8 or so bines so that plant has survived the transplant and is back with a vengeance. Really, these plants are beasts, what couldn't they survive.

Here's the Cascade starting up the ropes. Leaves finally opened up a little too. Maybe the neighbors will get the idea of what is going on with the giant wooden structure soon enough.

photo(28).jpg

Wow. The one in the forefront looks like an absolute monster!

That it is. The Cascade is my oldest plant and now in its 4th year and the rootball was absolutly massive when I dug it out. Bines are finger sized :)

I have bine envy. Mine are only two years old, and only their first year in the ground. Had them in planters last year.

I have bine envy. Mine are only two years old, and only their first year in the ground. Had them in planters last year.

I have Fuggle and Nugget 2nd year plants in planters and they resemble 1st year plants. My 2nd year Chinook and Zeus that have been in the ground are twice the size as the hops in planters. Your plants will love being in the ground, next year you'll notice they'll be much happier and larger from the get go.

An update! Well not so much a photo update but a photo that has my pergola in it. Hops are doing good. Cascade is now at 6', Centennial hit 3' and Columbus and Chinook are close behind. Tomatoes also went in last week :)

Better picture updates to come!

8bit.jpg

Love the shot.... and I really really want to try some of that 8-Bit Pale Ale. But sadly it's nowhere to be found here.

absolutely beautious. very jealous. now what's this about them taking over the yard? how do you keep that from happening?

bwomp313 - many people put open-bottomed boxes in the ground to contain the rhizomes.

absolutely beautious. very jealous. now what's this about them taking over the yard? how do you keep that from happening?

Like Gridlocked said, boxes, raised beds, and in my case I went down 18" with 24 mil plastic. Only on the insides so they may at some point come up on the outside. But I like to think i'm fairly consistent with my rhizome harvesting every year and hope that'll keep them in check. Once a hop garden, always a hop garden :mug:

How about a few photos! The Cascade is leading the way at 7' now. Still lagging but considering they were transplants I think they'll produce great come harvest. First photo shows the 3rd year Columbus, 2nd shot is "Matilda", and a whole garden shot, don't mind the weeds i've been out of town.

newhops.jpg

newhops2.jpg

newhops3.jpg

Was a busy Memorial so last night I finally got out to inspect the plants and tighten the ropes. All plants are growing well, some are showing signs of burnt leaves but overall all our healthy. The Cascade is throwing cones and sidarms and is around 10' currently. I have a bit of clean up to do on the Centennial and Columbus crowns as they're getting a bit overgrown. Matilda is throwing some large sidearms near the lower leaves, thought it looked a bit odd but they sure are healthy.

And yes I still need to give the garden a good weeding.

Onto the pictures!

Arms.jpg

Cones.jpg

Centennial.jpg

Zeus.jpg

Matilda.jpg

Things are growing well but i'm starting to think that my plants won't be making it to the top of the pergola this year. The Cascade is around 10' and throwing lots of cones. I'm also thinking the soil may need a boost so i'll be looking to find some enriched soil of sorts that I can top my plants with.

Cloudy day makes for sucky camera phone pictures. I'll get some better ones up soon.

photo(32).jpg

June update.

Both Cascade and Centennial are now throwing spurs. Columbus, Chinook, and Zeus are climbing like crazy. Fuggle and Nugget continue to grow well in the wood planters but are slow. Matilda has thrown another bine from the inch diameter rhizome. And got a new bottle opener from my buddy Gridlocked!

Garden.jpg

Matilda.jpg

Opener.jpg

Is that corkscrew thing with the eyes on it a new Bass lure you picked up for Sunday?

Columbus going for the top! If any of my plants make it to the top this year its going to be this Columbus bine. Only a couple feet from the top! Just starting to throw out sidearms, most are around 4" so far.

photo.jpg

Alright time for an update. Cascades started drying out ahead of schedule while on the bine so I harvested most of those last night. I'm guessing around 2 oz when dried. Centennials are close behind and will need to be harvested in a week or so.

My plan was to do a giant wet hopped harvest ale but since all my plants decided to ripen at different times i'm drying some and some will be wet. I'll update the thread when the remaining plants are harvested and when I have harvest brew session pictures.

I've come to the conclusion that the stunted growth of my plants this year is because of and mainly the transplant and a lack of rich healthy soil. The neglect of the weed growth didn't help anything either i'm sure. So at the end of this year i'll be covering all beds with compost as I have done in the past and come next year during rhizome harvest i'll be mixing in the compost and adding more to the mounds.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Damn Paul....nice set up and nice work! I have no idea how I missed your thread. :drunk: I have been following Ted's, but just came across yours and your pics are great! I believe that I am going to build a trellis system similar to yours in the spring, as my current set up doesn't allow for full sun. My wife isn't thrilled about the hops garden moving to the back yard, but I'm afraid that I am not going to get the full potential out of my vines in their current location. Then again, with 8 vines going I could really have my hands full if they all start producing at full capacity. Again, nice job! :mug:

Thanks Hoppopotomus! Long time since i've been back to this thread but its finally growing season here in MN so i'll finally starting throwing some more pictures up. Really hoping to see some good growth in the the short season this year now that my plants have been in the ground for a year.

My wife also wasn't thrilled when we moved into our new house and the first project was a hop trellis LOL.

I'm hoping I have my hands full this year. Growing 9 varieties so Hoping I can brew at least two batches with them since last year the entire harvest made it into only one beer.

Damn Paul....nice set up and nice work! I have no idea how I missed your thread. :drunk: I have been following Ted's, but just came across yours and your pics are great! I believe that I am going to build a trellis system similar to yours in the spring, as my current set up doesn't allow for full sun. My wife isn't thrilled about the hops garden moving to the back yard, but I'm afraid that I am not going to get the full potential out of my vines in their current location. Then again, with 8 vines going I could really have my hands full if they all start producing at full capacity. Again, nice job! :mug:

2013 growing season has finally come. I moved my Fuggle, and Nugget from planters(They really wanted out as the pictures show) into the ground finally so I have all 8- 4'x4' areas spoken for.

Onto the pictures....

photo 2 copy 3.JPG

photo 1 copy 3.JPG

photo 3 copy.JPG

photo 4 copy.JPG

Nice Paul! I didn't get to my trellis system this spring, so I'm just sticking with the cable system that I built last year. My second year vines are already kicking a$$! Ted sent me 5 rhizomes last spring including 2 chinooks, 2 cascades, and 1 centennial. I picked up 3 more from my HBS including 1 columbus, 1 glacier, and 1 hallertau. All 8 have numerous shoots, with several per vine already 1-2 ft. tall that I am training. Although I only get partial sun with my trellis system, I think it should be a good year regardless. I'm considering adding additional climbing ropes for each crown, but am unsure what to do. Should I add another climbing rope per crown and train 3 to 5 bines per climbing line and trim the rest back? Or, should I stick with 1 climbing rope per crown and train 3 to 5 bines only and trim the rest back, so that the root system can maximize nutrients and the potential of fewer bines? I'm still pretty new to this hops growing gig, so any advice is appreciated. Ted, you can chime in to, because I know you are a seasoned veteran. :mug:

Don't listen to Ted he doesn't know what he's talking about :ban:

I and Ted both run 4-6 ropes to each plant and train 1-2 bines per rope and trim back the rest. You're bound to get a random bine sneaking in there here or there, if they get 3' or so up I just let them go as well.

You've got a great variety there and by the sounds of your current growth you should have a great yield at the end of the year. The plants will do fine with partial sun just be sure to water them well and they'll be happy.

Nice Paul! I didn't get to my trellis system this spring, so I'm just sticking with the cable system that I built last year. My second year vines are already kicking a$$! Ted sent me 5 rhizomes last spring including 2 chinooks, 2 cascades, and 1 centennial. I picked up 3 more from my HBS including 1 columbus, 1 glacier, and 1 hallertau. All 8 have numerous shoots, with several per vine already 1-2 ft. tall that I am training. Although I only get partial sun with my trellis system, I think it should be a good year regardless. I'm considering adding additional climbing ropes for each crown, but am unsure what to do. Should I add another climbing rope per crown and train 3 to 5 bines per climbing line and trim the rest back? Or, should I stick with 1 climbing rope per crown and train 3 to 5 bines only and trim the rest back, so that the root system can maximize nutrients and the potential of fewer bines? I'm still pretty new to this hops growing gig, so any advice is appreciated. Ted, you can chime in to, because I know you are a seasoned veteran. :mug:

Back