Question about Slap Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
I have a slap pack that is fully expanded and ready to use: problem is I don't know if I am going to have the time to brew today. If I leave it for another 24 hours, will it be ruined?

It will be fine tomorrow, but it'll be even better tomorrow, if you make a starter out of it today. :cool:

This is from forever ago, but:

I broke the nutrient pack Saturday to do an all-grain batch, but this was our first batch and the mash tun we built was definitely faulty and needs to be fixed (permanently stuck sparge due to improper holes in the manifold).

So I figure "I'll use the slappack for an extract brew on Sunday", except the stores are closed so I can't pick up liquid extract.
Will it keep until Monday? Or further than that? (the nearest store is closed monday, too)

Should I just toss the expanded slap pack and buy another one when we can do a proper AG again?

I'd make a starter today and leave it on the stir plate, but I have no extract and the dang stores are closed.

Secondary question, not to hijack this ancient thread, but can I use liquid malt extract in a starter to equal effect? DME is super hard to find around here.

Liquid and dry extracts can certainly be used interchangably. Just make a quart of 1.040 wort and pitch in there until you are ready to brew.

Back