Sausage Traditions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
My family makes Körv sausage every year for Christmas. I have a Scandinavian thread in my heritage, and that side of the family has always made our family Körv recipe and eaten Lütefisk for Christmas. Last night was our day to make 50# of Körv. I ate a ton of sausage and a huge fillet of Lütefisk, and was fully happy.

What are some of your sausage or meat focused traditions?

Being of Polish Heritage (50% Polish and 50% German) every Easter we eat traditional Polish food. We drag out the sausage attachment to the Kitchen Aide mixer and make home made Keilbasa for Easter Sunday. My mother in law usually makes the Golumpki and wife makes Babka. To get away from the strong cabbage smell I break out the turkey frier and make Chrusciki.

The Friday & Saturday after Thanksgiving we make about 1500lbs of sausage from an old family recipe (just salt, pepper, & garlic). Used to butcher 4 pigs and a cow. Last few years we have been buying quartered beef and pork. Makes for a shorter few days.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

Holy crap! How many people are in your family? You do all that from a 10# manual stuffer?

Should we post recipes??? I have mixed feelings about keeping my family recipe, but it would be cool to share them all too...

We make sausage rolls every year, the traditional English variety not the weird American 'pigs in a blanket'. I hand make the pastry, well in the food processor these days, and either buy Jimmy Dean brand sage spiced sausage meat (if I'm in a hurry) or buy bulk sausage meat at the local butcher and season it myself. I'm hoping to get a stand mixer soon so I can start making my own sausage meat from scratch with the meat grinder attachment.

We also stuff the neck of the Christmas turkey with sausage meat when we cook it... yum.

As far back as I can remember, around the holidays, we usually make our Italian fennel sausage (hand stuffed), as well as stuffed artichokes & stuffed mushrooms. Come to think of it, that's a lot of stuffed stuff. It's also how we end up...

Holy crap! How many people are in your family? You do all that from a 10# manual stuffer?

Should we post recipes??? I have mixed feelings about keeping my family recipe, but it would be cool to share them all too...

There are about 20 family members left in the area, but many of the people who show up anymore are just locals/friends who want sausage. This has been going on for as long as my grandmother can remember and she is 89. My sore arms will attest to the fact that we still use that old manual stuffer. Thought about getting a new one, but we can't kill that tradition. The stuffer is older then anyone in the family. Besides it is good for the young-ins to crank a stuffer for a few hours.

I would love to see family recipes.
Ours isn't very exact but here is how we do it:
-Grind equal parts beef and pork.
-Fill a wash tub with about 75lbs.
-Add a few handfuls salt, pepper, and garlic.
-Roll up you sleeves and start mixing. Mixing time is gauged by tossing in a dime and mixing until it is found (only used with new people:)).
-Fry up some samples and everyone gets a taste follow by about 20 different recommendations on what else to add. After much discussion someone finally makes a decision and tosses in more salt, pepper, and/or garlic.
-More mixing.
-Stuff into real casing.
-Eat your self sick at the potluck.

Hi
i am a portuguese person to like to discover the food and tradition in other countries and i doing a "chouriços,morcelas,farinheiras" its a name we don the sausages of pork smoking.
The "chouriço" it s made of lean pork with local seasonings stuffed into casings dry cow which is then smoked and the result.
this can be baked, grilled or eaten so.
the " morcela" it s a produt do is made with beef fat, flour and pig's blood a later its smoked .
this can be baked, grilled ( this option is better because de fat is gon)
the "farinheira" made with pork lard, flour and white wine.
this can be baked.
this product are traditional and doing manual the flavor is wonderful, but these products are an enemy of health because of cholesterol.
good flavor´s
paulo coelho
[email protected]

Hi
i am a portuguese person to like to discover the food and tradition in other countries and i doing a "chouriços,morcelas,farinheiras" its a name we don the sausages of pork smoking.
The "chouriço" it s made of lean pork with local seasonings stuffed into casings dry cow which is then smoked and the result.
this can be baked, grilled or eaten so.
the " morcela" it s a produt do is made with beef fat, flour and pig's blood a later its smoked .
this can be baked, grilled ( this option is better because de fat is gon)
the "farinheira" made with pork lard, flour and white wine.
this can be baked.
this product are traditional and doing manual the flavor is wonderful, but these products are an enemy of health because of cholesterol.
good flavor´s
paulo coelho
[email protected]

Enemy of health. Yea, that's for sure. Welcome to the forum, portugal. Good luck with your economic recover there in the EU.

I'm making me some Boudin Blanc (no blood) this wkend. Yeah sausage.

My dad and I started doing venison sausage every Thanksgiving. Hopefully its fresh venison but it works well with leftovers from the freezer making room for more venison or sausage ;)

We'll make some smoked Andouille at the same time and let it age in the fridge until New Years then make a heaping big pot of Jambalaya.

Every Memorial Day I grill up 5# of homemade brats and who ever wants one comes and gets some.

Well, my wife is second generation American. Before her family moved to the states her great grandfather owned a meat shop in Poland. The secret family recipe has been handed down and since I married into the family I get to have it too :D! We make about 30lbs of Kielbasa every Christmas and I am starting to make my own brats. Should be might tasty! This paired with home Brew, who could ask for more!

Well, my wife is second generation American. Before her family moved to the states her great grandfather owned a meat shop in Poland. The secret family recipe has been handed down and since I married into the family I get to have it too :D! We make about 30lbs of Kielbasa every Christmas and I am starting to make my own brats. Should be might tasty! This paired with home Brew, who could ask for more!

Mind posting those recipes? ;)

Well, if I were to post the Kielbasa I would be dead before sunset:D, but for the bratwurst I start with the recipes here and modify them for what I want. They end up pretty tasty. I really do recommend using a dedicated stuffer when packing your casings.

Mmm mmm sausage.

_B282714.jpg

Now THAT'S a Christmas Card Photo if I've ever seen one!
(after all there is a Christmas towel hanging on the stove behind you)

Well, if I were to post the Kielbasa I would be dead before sunset:D

... Stosh brings in a package wrapped in butcher paper and hands it to Walter, who unwraps it ... in the paper there appears to be kielbasa casings stuffed with blue and red cloth, "what's this?" Walter says; "It's a Warszawianin message" says Stosh, "it means Charles was smoked with the fishes” ...

Back