Old Style Quarter Barrel -- need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archiefl98

Reaction score
So I picked up two 1/2 barrel Sankes and one 1/4 barrel old style keg today. I'm turning the Sankes into a brew kettle and a HLT (Thanks Bobby_M). I have no idea what to do with the 1/4 barrel. First, since it's got some old style connector on it, I don't even know how to relieve pressure, much less how to disassemble it.

Here's a shot of the keg:
826825655_yDjyF-M.jpg

Here's a closeup of the top:
826825589_eymhR-M.jpg

And then, there's a place for a bung on the side of it I guess. WTF is this and what do I do with it?
826825714_9qwhP-M.jpg

It's about half full from what I can tell, so at least I know it holds pressure. What would you do with this thing if you owned it? How do I disassemble it?

Any help is greatly appreciated on this one.

Thanks,
Arch

i just got some europeans and couldnt figure out how to relieve pressure. I just drilled a small hole at the top. Use safety glasses, etc, and you should be fine. The pressure is relieved. You might get some foam depending on the pressure and amount of beer.

If the keg's big enough, you might be able to use it as a HLT. 1/4 is almost 8 gallons i think, so depending on how you AG, that might be enough if you can refill the keg and reheat 8 gallons fast enough for your next use.

Dunno about side bungs. If it's solid, just leave it maybe???

We ended up with 2 of those recently. We haven't made any modifications yet, but the plan is to cut the top and bottom off to use as lids, and cut the centre section in half to use as 2 windblocks. We have access to a plasma cutter, so it will make it easier for us, but I would likely do that with them even if I had to make the cuts with an angle grinder.

I'm thinking I'd like to use it as a fermenter, but I don't know what the deal is with the inside of it and I probably wouldn't be able to look in and see the other side of the bung area once I cut the hole in the top. I thought about the drill-a-hole method, and I may have to go that route.

I'd still like to know how to disassemble it correctly if anyone can help me out.

hoff-stevens valves are threaded in, the 3 outer holes in the valve are where the pins of the valve wrench go. impossible to find, so you'll have to make one if you really want to take it apart without wrecking it.

there are 2 holes in the center of the valve, the larger one is the liquid-out port, the small one is the gas-in port. both have spring loaded balls like a sankey valve has, to vent the pressure you push something like a nail or small screwdriver into the small hole until the hissing stops. do not put anything into the large hole... you might get sprayed with 20yo rotten beer....

the wood bungs can be a pain to get out, the easiest way is to drill a hole in the center of it, and use a hacksaw blade to cut the wood in a couple of places all the way to the edge. the wood chunks will usually fall right out. the other way is to drill a hole, thread in a puller screw and use a slide hammer to pop the plug out, probably not worth the effort though since you're planning on cutting the keg open anyway.

Thanks man! This one's got a plastic bung on it. I got all the pressure relieved. I figure I can at least get the rank-ass beer out of it if I can remove the valve. I don't know what I'm going to do with it just yet so I don't want to wreck it if I can help it.

You could always sell/give it to some Hot Rod/Dune Buggy enthusiast. They can use it for a fuel tank. - Dwain

Everyone once and a while I see a bolt like that while working on cars. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

BUT if you get 2 small Allen keys that will fit in the holes and use a screw driver with a longer shank or something to turn them, you might get lucky!

The reason why I say Allen keys is because they are usually hardened and have a decently high ductile?! strength. Using nails or screws may work also.

I think I might take the advice of throwing it up on CL for a fuel tank. I tried the allen key method of getting the valve out but it wouldn't budge. I already have 2 half barrels and with my cooler mash tun I should be set for a bit. I don't plan on making a RIMS just yet. Still pretty happy with batch sparging.

While I was thinking of using it as a fermenter, I don't think I can. Since I'd have to weld in a cover plate over the bung hole in the side, I don't think there'd be a way to do that in a sanitary fashion and still keep the top in tact for airlock use.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll post this tubby whooptie up on the craigslist today.

Couldn't this thing be used for cask style aging? I've seen similar used at a brewery here and there. I'm sure they were slightly different but looked very similar. Would just need some way to tap it...

I threw it up on Craigslist for $30. If no one bites, I'll look at cutting it in half for a windscreen (eventually) around the propane burner.

I have a tap for a Hoff-Stevens keg you can have for the cost of postage, if you would still be interested.

Hoff1.JPG

The design is not like a Sanke. There is no spear. The liquid tube is plastic with a stainless end.

The kegs themselves are very easy to clean. You do have to remove the bung. To do so, make sure all the pressure is released. To release the pressure, insert the tap in the fitting. The is a pressure release valve built into the tap. Just pull on it with some pliers, until there is no more hissing. You can also remove the back flow valve from the gas side of the fitting.

Once you are certain there is no pressure in the keg, you can remove the bung. The easiest way is to get a very large screw driver and punch it through the plastic bung. You can then pry the bung out of the keg.

Drian all the liquid out through the bung hole. Rinse the keg and then you can fill it up with warm water and Oxycleam/PBW. Let it soak overnight. Drain and rinse. You can sanitize with Star-san.

You can find a drilled rubber stopper, similar to what is used in a glass carboy. Put an airlock in it and you will have a 7.75 gallon stainless steel fermenter. Keep it on it's side with the bung hole up. You can use some wooden chocks to make sure it doesn't roll.

this thread is totally dead but... if you do have one of these kegs, this is how you can use it... mine is a 15.5gal

twist off the tap fitting, its a twist lock- so use really big channel lock pliers or vise grips) pull the whole thing out and cut the hose and fish it out (you don't want that thing in there trust me)

the hole then can be plugged with a #4 or #5 rubber stopper from your local home brew store. (if you cant find one the cork stopper from a handle of vodka will work).

remove the side bung... its either wood or plastic... don't try to save it.
replace it with a #10 rubber stopper with a hole for an airlock in it. yes you will want to use it on its side.

get a flashlight and inspect the inside of the keg, if the surfaces are in good shape use it. and start by sanitizing it really well.

you will need a stand to keep it from rolling over but they make great fermentors.

Back