AK Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipsah

Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's getting cold up here in Alaska. The temps in my garage have started to plummet (about 5 degrees F outside = 55-60 in the garage), so I decided to build a home for my brews. Four to six buckets/carboys hanging around the house was too much for SWMBO, and it gives me a reason to build brewing stuff, so I was game.

Outside View
DSC_2668.JPG

Inside View
DSC_2669.JPG

Right on Target
DSC_2670.JPG

As you can see, it holds the temp right on 70. I'm using a ceramic heat lamp and temp controller from the local pet store (intended to keep "exotic" pets at their ideal temps).

I can squeeze 4 buckets/carboys in there at a time and can still get to all of them for testing. Next up, figure out an easy way to cool one of these so I can start lagering.

Thumbs up from a fellow Anchorage brewer!

I've thought about building a similar chamber in my garage. My garage is "semi-heated" (I keep the thermostat as low as it'll go) and maintains an ambient temp of 44-48 in the winter. I should probably just switch over to lagering this time of year!

P.S. let me know how the Stinky Hermit Stout turns out, been thinking about that recipe myself.

Thumbs up from a fellow Anchorage brewer!

I've thought about building a similar chamber in my garage. My garage is "semi-heated" (I keep the thermostat as low as it'll go) and maintains an ambient temp of 44-48 in the winter. I should probably just switch over to lagering this time of year!

P.S. let me know how the Stinky Hermit Stout turns out, been thinking about that recipe myself.

My garage is heated off the house thermostat so it varies wildly.

Re: the Stinky Hermit. It's AMAZING. This is my second time making it (long live Arctic Brewing Supply). If you can get me a 1/2g growler I'd be glad to fill it with a sample for you. PM me your email address if you are interested.

so the temp controller just turns the heat lamp on and off at the socket or something?

Basically. The controller plugs into the wall outlet (ok extension cord) and the lamp plugs into the controller. Operates just like the "kegerator" controllers out there, but for heat only. Ran me $30 at the local pet store.

hmmm. sounds like it would work with a heat pad as well in a small insulated fermentation chamber such as yours. thanks. :)

Could the light from the lamp have any ill effects on your carboy'ed beers?? I recently got a chest freezer off CL, but ambient temps for me are getting low, so I put a small space heater in it (kept very low, of course.) I thought about a heating lamp, but I don't want 5 gallons of skunk.

Could the light from the lamp have any ill effects on your carboy'ed beers?? I recently got a chest freezer off CL, but ambient temps for me are getting low, so I put a small space heater in it (kept very low, of course.) I thought about a heating lamp, but I don't want 5 gallons of skunk.

Heatpad would work as well. It is a ceramic heater so it doesn't put off any light. NO SKUNK!!!!

any what temperature range your controller will work up to?
and how hot do you think you can get your chamber with that ceramic bulb?
im looking into making a multi purpose chamber, but it needs to get pretty hot ~130*F

any what temperature range your controller will work up to?
and how hot do you think you can get your chamber with that ceramic bulb?
im looking into making a multi purpose chamber, but it needs to get pretty hot ~130*F

My controller maxes out at 105F. In theory, you could build a chamber that would support that heat, but I would be worried about fire risk using the kind of lamps I have. They are not intended to run 24/7, and keeping the temp that high would definitely tax them.

If you don't mind me asking, what would one do with a 130F chamber? Sauna, torture, yoga? Please tell me it's not for brewing...

not for brewing. it would only be at that temp for 4-6 hours. it would be duel purpose, fermentation chamber at lower temps and for "hot boxing" skis.

if you wax your skis and then let the wax sit on them at ~130*F for 4-6 hours, the wax will penetrate into the bases. this results it a better wax so that you don't have to do it nearly as many times. so, im thinking some type of space heater or a floorboard heater for that amount of heat. from what i've seen online those pet temp sensors max out at 105-110*f, so those wouldn't quite work. im just in the brainstorming phase currently.

oh yeah... i make my own skis btw. :p
so this just seems like the next step, especially if it will work for fermenting and hot boxing.

For cooling just buy a used window mounted AC unit and it should have plenty of cooling ability for your needs. Nice Chamber! :)

I lived in Anchorage from 1999-2002. I miss the selection of great beer and food! I would kill for a pizza from Moose's Tooth right now.

For cooling just buy a used window mounted AC unit and it should have plenty of cooling ability for your needs. Nice Chamber! :)

That is my plan if I decide to start brewing lagers. I've seen many nice lagering chambers on HBT. Lucky for me, I never have a problem with Ale temps here in AK. Max summer temp in the garage is 70-ish.

Hey, fellow Anchorage brewer here.

Do you think this would work for fermenting ales in an unheated shed during the winter? I really hate being boxed into lagers only during the winter due to the low temps in a poorly heated house.

Thanks!

Back