What to brew with Wyeast 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
I have flask full of reclaimed Wyeast 1056 from my red ale sitting in my fridge, but I'm not sure what to brew next. Any suggestions for beers that would work well with this yeast? Recipes are always appreciated. Thanks!

IPA
APA
American Brown
IIPA
American Barleywine

Really, anything American or anything you want a very clean ale-yeast profile.

EDIT: There are numerous great recipes for each of those styles. If you can decide on one, I (and I am sure others) would be happy to point you towards our favorites.

yes, very basic (and good), all around american ale yeast -- a staple in probably half of my american ales

+1 on the above. It's a great yeast. Stouts and Porters will work too....

You could even do an Oud Bruin, and add the bret later...... endless possibilities!

If you had kept the yeast cake mostly whole and sanitary you would have the PERFECT excuse for a good ol' fashioned high gravity American Barleywine. Hmmm, imagine what you could do with a rich american 1.10 OG concoction.

Here's an interesting one...Scottish Ale

This is a very clean beer, and one way to keep it clean is to use a clean yeast. Ferment on the cool end to keep it that way. By the way, this isn't just Joe Noob that recommends this. I heard it on an episode of the Jamil show:
The Brewing Network.com - :

Thanks for the replies! Anyone have a suggestion for a nice pale ale? I'm an extract brewer... Thanks!

Here is a good one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes

Sub out the toasted 2-row with like 8oz of victory malt and steep it with the crystal. Sub the wheat flakes with 1 lb. of wheat LME/DME. Make up the rest of the OG with light LME/DME. See the link for the hops and other details.

This is a great APA, I have brewed it a couple times.

Back