how much idophor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
I use 1 teaspoon of idophor per 5 gallons of water to sanitize, is that enough? Doesn't seem like much but it does turn the water colors. How much does everyone else use for a no rinse sanitizer? Thanks

That is about 1/4 what the bottle says to use. You should be using 1 ml/L, 5G is about 19L so you should be using 19ml of idophor. 1 tsp is 5ml so you'd be looking at just under 4 tsp in 5G.

John

WOW 500th post was actually beer related what are the odds? If you are using a different iodine solution, like something from the farm supply shops they are generally more concentrated and will have to use less.

Here is what I use, I'll type it exactly as it says on the bottle: Odoerless - tasreless B-T-F Iodophor sanitizer For Glasses - dishes - utensils In Restaurants, bars, hotels, schools, institutions. It says to use a mixture of 12.5 ppm or 25 ppm in 3 gallons. For 12.5 ppm it says to use 3/10 of an oz and for 25 ppm it says to use 3/5 of an oz. How do I convert all of that into teaspoons?

A couple years ago BTF changed the ratio, and had LHBS's hand out new instructions with every purchase. The most recent dilution ration is 1 tbs/5 gallons of water.

A couple years ago BTF changed the ratio, and had LHBS's hand out new instructions with every purchase. The most recent dilution ration is 1 tbs/5 gallons of water.

Best answer I've heard yet. +1 rev thanks guy

Best answer I've heard yet. +1 rev thanks guy

I try. I put a lot of info on santizing with iodophor and starsan in this thread awhile ago, it even has the basic brewing podcasts on sanitizing with Starsan and Iodophor linked in there. Plus a pdf on sanitization in the food industry, and a lot of tips as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

Probably any other question you may have about it can be found already answered there.

:mug:

I use what it says on the bottle
Homebrew Solution: 1 tsp to 1-1/2 gallons water

That'd be 1 tbs (4 tsp) to 6 gallons water.

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
Tu disais qu't'allais toujours m'aimer.

HTH

Woh... hey wait... what? A Moxy Fruvous quote?!

1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons.

Brian

I found where I get the conversion wrong all the time from!!! Tupperware! We have the orange measuring spoon set. The largest one is a dual purpose one that will measure 1 Tablespoon (3 teaspoons) to the bottom line or 4 teaspoons to the lip so it says 1 Tbs and 4 tsp on the same spoon. I've been using that set since I started cooking as a preteen....

Back