CO2 line through fridge wall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I got my delivery of extra parts I needed to have my new 20# co2 outside the fridge. All that's left is to drill a hole.

I can drill in the door and be confident that I won't hit any lines. However I would prefer to run the line through the side of the fridge. I have a fridge that has the vent down from the freezer. I have read that most of these types have no lines in the sides, but am looking for any ideas on confirming that. Last thing I want is to have to buy another fridge :).

The easiest way to check for larger lines is to feel the area you plan on drilling through. Thats how the lines are found on the top of many minifridges. I've heard a few people have had success going through a drain hole of some sort on the back of some fridges?

I'm curious what parts you needed to have your tank outside the fridge. I also have a #20 tank, I'm looking for a freezer currently and I'm assuming that i'll have to keep it outside also.

The freezer should have a drain hole. I'd think the hose would fit in there. I did a wooden collar and just ran the lines through there.

If there is a grid of tubes on the back, there are no lines in the sides. If not, carefully cut a hole through the inside liner where you want to put the line, then move the insulation out of the way and look for a line welded to the outside skin.

8406.jpg
from micromatic is an example of the hose you need (probably find cheaper at a local store or Ebay) for straight from the tank to regulator; or you can have your regulator outside and just use regular air line tubing into the fridge (to kegs or manifold).

+1 on drilling a small hole inside and poking around to check; another option is a cornstarch slurry technique (do a search on sanyo 4912 conversion). It's pretty much turn off the fridge, mix vodka and cornstarch mix to smear on and turn the fridge on to identify hot spots/freon lines. Good luck!

Back