Johnson A419 Setup Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I realize there are a ton of threads on this thing. I've looked around and have taken in quite a bit of info.

However, I was wondering how long it would take the Johnson to get my fridge to 50 for some lagering? I'm wanting to brew a batch today and I'm about to plug this thing in. Just seeing how soon it would get it down there. it's a full size side-by-side fridge.

Thanks. :mug:

A few hours should be OK I think... Consider, the thermal mass of your carboy is far larger than that of the fridge walls and air within. If you are worried you can chill down to 45*F or so to pitch, and it will warm up to 50*F. :)

I just plugged this thing in and the display shows nothing. The screen lights up and then it just shows nothing. Do I need to program it or something? It's an A419. :(

It should be set up ready to run, gererally they come set up for cooling... ready to go. There should be something on the screen, start pushing buttons.

Yeah, I had to call customer service at Johnson and get out the volt meter and some other crap but I got working :rockin:

Oddly enough, when things go to hell in a handbasket... you either "turn it off and turn it back on" OR you start pushing buttons.

On aircraft that are completely controlled by computers, resetting switches and pushing buttons almose always fixes the problem! ;)

Yesterday we were over the Rockies at 36,000 feet and the autopilot disconnected (need it above 29,000 legally)... then the auto-throttles, the warning screen (EICAS) started filling up with warnings and cautions, then the chimes started coming.

My FO, fairly new to the plane was about to crap his pants... I have seen this happen ONCE before in this plane in the past three years... oddly enough over the Rockies that time too. I kept eating my cookie from my snack box, grabbed the yoke with one hand and waited about 30 seconds. The plane corrected the problem, I called for autopilot and throttles on... and went on our way. The FO was like, "what the hell was that!?" me... "ugh, I dunno, happens once every couple of years though, usually fixes itself". FO-"that was classic, you didnt even put down your friggin cookie".

OKAY, the A419 should work out of the box. Did you troubleshoot with the instructions at all? It is already set to cool like I said, the instructions for changing jumpers for heat are in the instructions. I you punch some buttons and it doesnt come on, try powering down and back up a few times.

WOOPS, you got it... sweet!

Yeah, it's working now. Sweet story. I'd friggin' drop my cookie like noob if I was in that plane. That's a little too hairy for me. It's not like my lagerator has pasengers aboard.... that I know of...

I just got my 8x8x4 junction box for my control panel... laying out the electrical components in there... it is going to be TIGHT!!!

It is going to be small and sweet though... just a tight fit in there with all the components.

Glad to hear you got the JC up and runnin... what was the deal?

Opened it up. The connections from the power supply were not good. They wouldn't read 120. Pulled out some of the connection wires and spliced a short piece of wire and used a wire tie to connect the two 110 wires to the splice. Powered it off and on a couple of times and it's golden.

Know it is an old thread but...

Did you set this up with Cooling Mode - Cut-in or Cut-out as the set point? What differential? Thanks - Dan

Back