Never Had Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewKemendo

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing discussion between me and my home brew shop.

I have done quite a few batches now, with each being better than the last. I have been all grain since the beginning and the end result is always good.

I have had no problems with alcohol content, body, head, carbonation, bitterness or anything else I can imagine, yet I have never had the kind of Krausen in my fermenter that I have seen on so many home brews. At most I have had 1/4 inch on top.

My water isn't particularly hard and my PH levels are always above acceptable. I make Ales exclusively so I understand the bottom fermenting yeast has a bit to do with it, but not much. The only thing I don't do is aggressively aerate before my pitch.

Ideas?

Aggressively aerate and use a starter if you are not using one. The way I aerate is I take a sanitized pitcher and pour my wort through a strainer into my bottling bucket. Then when my kettle gets light enough I will pour the whole thing. Then once in my bottling bucket, I put it on the counter, with my primary on the floor and drain through the spigot, then through the strainer again. I get so much aeration that I typically have to stop and let the foam die down a little bit. I have had krausen more than a couple of inches thick.

I have only had one krausen that was more than 1/2" to 1"; typically mine are about an inch. I have also had krausen as thin as 1/4". Personally I think if your beers are turning out fine, you have nothing to worry about.

cubbies said:
Aggressively aerate and use a starter if you are not using one. The way I aerate is I take a sanitized pitcher and pour my wort through a strainer into my bottling bucket. Then when my kettle gets light enough I will pour the whole thing. Then once in my bottling bucket, I put it on the counter, with my primary on the floor and drain through the spigot, then through the strainer again. I get so much aeration that I typically have to stop and let the foam die down a little bit. I have had krausen more than a couple of inches thick.

This really has nothing to do with the original question but rather just my own curiosity. That seems like an awful lot to aerate, couldn't you just put the lid on the bucket and shake the whole thing ? That is how I aerate. I pick the whole carboy up, cover the mouth and shake it vigorously for a 30 secs to a minute, rest and repeat.

Even if it's only 1/2" thick, it's kraeusen. As far as my limited experience goes, there is always Kraeusen during fermentation. I've had some over 6" high and out the blow-off, and a couple that were a half inch bit o' foam on the surface, but all produced it to some degree.

I have no idea whether or not the amount of kraeusen can provide indication as to the health of the fermentation, though.

@ brewno: sure, you can shake it, just takes a whole lot more energy. Cubbles just lets gravity do some of the work. Best method is to use an filtered air pump.

Brewno said:
...couldn't you just put the lid on the bucket and shake the whole thing ? That is how I aerate. I pick the whole carboy up, cover the mouth and shake it vigorously for a 30 secs to a minute, rest and repeat.
That's a preferred method for a lot of brewers.

As far as krausen goes...a lot will depend on the yeast.

My typical ales that use dry yeast (safale-05, nottingham) will have very little krausen and ferment fast.

My Belgian Wits (WL-400 Witbier yeast) will have monster krausens that go on forever.

If your beer is fermenting thoroughly and quick enough...don't concern yourself with krausen "depth". It doesn't affect the beers flavor profile.

Madtown Brew said:
@ brewno: sure, you can shake it, just takes a whole lot more energy. Cubbles just lets gravity do some of the work. Best method is to use an filtered air pump.

Thanks for the repy. Yes, it is a workout!!:D

areate your yeast starter not your wort ,of course splashing is acceptable after yourwort is cooled but going beyond that is not the way to go ,

areate your yeast starter not your wort ,of course splashing is acceptable after yourwort is cooled but going beyond that is not the way to go ,

This is not sound advice.

For further info read everybody else ever

Old or not it was a relieving read for a first time brewer who's worried his yeast isn't working since there isn't even a full coverage on the surface let alone any number of inches. So I can assume my beer is still fermenting ok?

Back