Flat Beer- Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak6143

Reaction score
Just did a transfer from a Commercial Sanke (blue moon) to a corny 2 nights ago and it worked great. Took about 20min. As soon as I started getting foam from the pressure relief valve, I caught the foam with a pitcher and let it keep filling until the corny weighed about 48 lbs which should be 40lbs of beer and 8lbs for an empty corny. Drank the blue moon all night and it was perfect. Last night, it had no head at all. No pressure has dropped. Not sure what happened. The beer did get up to about 50deg before I got it back into the fridge. I just bled the pressure and then took the CO2 ball lock and hooked it to the "beer out" side and pressurized it from the bottom of the tank in an attempt to force carb it. Seems to have worked though Im not sure it will last. Anyone have any ideas here?
Thanks
Adam

Between the carbonation lost during the transfer (to wit: the foam) and that lost to temperature rise along the way, what's left just needs some time under proper CO2 pressure to restore its character...

Cheers!

Would you say 12psi is enough to get it back to where it needs to be?
Thanks

Depends on temperature plus how bubbly you like your Blue Moon. Check this chart out, pick a C02 volume at whatever temperature you're aiming for and the required CO2 pressure will pop right out.

I'd imagine a "mostly wheat" beer like Blue Moon would want to be up around 3 volumes or better...

Cheers!

Hi

Unless your fridge is very cold, take it up around 18 psi for a couple days. See how you like it. That of course assumes your beer lines are long enough to handle 18 psi (~10 feet of 3/16's).

Bob

Thanks. I try to keep it between 35 and 39deg. I think its coming up a bit so this is probably working well.
Thanks for the suggestions

Hi

One of the neat things about running your own draft system is that you can play a bit with the carbonation level. There is always a range of levels that work reasonably well for any style of beer. You will need to work a bit if you move stuff up and down, but it's certainly worth the effort.

Bob

Back