False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdent

Reaction score
I can't help myself, I've just got so many questions. My friend and I just aquired a igloo cooler and just put a new tap on it that works better than the one it came with. Now we're in the process of designing a false bottom. Anyone out there have an out of this world design they'd like to share? I've seen the perferated false bottom and worry about clogging, and I've seen a mini pipe system with little holes drilled in them facing down (this seems like it wouldn't clog but the igloo doesn't have the biggest cross sectional area and I've only seen this design on the large rectangular coolers). Any comments?

Are you talking about a round cooler? You can still do a slotted manifold (mini pipe system), it's just smaller. Usually a square in the designs I've seen. I'm currently on stainless braid (perforated) and haven't had a stuck sparge I couldn't unstick, but I'm probably going to convert to the manifold in the near future as it seems more robust in terms of preventing channeling during sparging.

BeeGee said:
I'm currently on stainless braid (perforated) and haven't had a stuck sparge I couldn't unstick

... you mean by blowing thorugh the hose and spraying yourself with wort? :)

-walker

Designing a manifold

John Palmer again, I can't add a thing.

Personally, I use a screen torpedo tube. It may not be as efficient as a manifold or a false bottom, but the loss is minor.

Back