UDS build kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of the square basket using all expanded steel, but would want something like that welded. I don't know how sturdy it's be with just wire ties. I'd stick with sending panels and leaving it to the customer to assemble. You could source a welder, but that'd only be profitable if you were going very large scale with this.

There's always silver solder as well.

Actually I just figured it out and the square one would be a little over twice the volume of the round one.

I like the idea of the square basket using all expanded steel, but would want something like that welded. I don't know how sturdy it's be with just wire ties. I'd stick with sending panels and leaving it to the customer to assemble. You could source a welder, but that'd only be profitable if you were going very large scale with this.

There's always silver solder as well.

I have been wanting a welder anyway :D but can't really justify it for this. That would increase the cost of shipping too.

<noob smoker alert>

There's no way to bolt together the expanded steel?

So use smaller panels.

I wasn't saying it was a problem. I was actually worried that it might be too small but then I actually thought about it and realized it was bigger. Now my only concern with it is the stability. It would take quite a few zip ties and they aren't really cheap so bailing wire would be better from a cost point but probably not as strong and more difficult to assemble.

<noob smoker alert>

There's no way to bolt together the expanded steel?

The way I was originally planning on doing it you would bolt together the two pieces but then would still have to use either zip ties or bailing wire to attach to the grate. With the box since all the connections would be at 90 degree angles bolts wouldn't really work unless you bent all the corners so they would overlap. I guess that could possibly be feasable but I think it is somethign that I would have to do before sending it out. In order to get nice bends it would have to be heated and then hammered on a form.

There must be something along the lines of hog rings that could just be squeezed together with a pair of pliers...

It doesn't have to be a tight fit, just as long as it doesn't come apart. The base would hold it relatively square.

There must be something along the lines of hog rings that could just be squeezed together with a pair of pliers...

It doesn't have to be a tight fit, just as long as it doesn't come apart. The base would hold it relatively square.

Not a bad idea. Would probably be cheaper than the zip ties but more secure and easier than the wire. I'll see what I can find.

The way I was originally planning on doing it you would bolt together the two pieces but then would still have to use either zip ties or bailing wire to attach to the grate. With the box since all the connections would be at 90 degree angles bolts wouldn't really work unless you bent all the corners so they would overlap. I guess that could possibly be feasable but I think it is somethign that I would have to do before sending it out. In order to get nice bends it would have to be heated and then hammered on a form.

If you bent the sides, your square base would have to be smaller, forcing you to make more cuts, too.

If you bent the sides, your square base would have to be smaller, forcing you to make more cuts, too.

True, but making the cuts wouldn't be a big deal. The time it would take the bend all the sides might be though.

Looking into it further it looks like zip ties would be a cheaper option than bending and bolting. The best I have found so far for the zip ties would add about $6-$9 to the cost but would take less stainless hardware so would probably be able even.

I could do two options, one for a round and one for a square and probably keep the price the same.

Trying to get a really close idea tonight. I wanted it done earlier today but it is taking longer than I had initially thought.

Data, after building a few of these, I have found it most cost effective purchasing the full 4x8 sheet of expanded metal and cutting to desired size. I also have a welder and used it on some baskets, but, found that a simple coat hanger wire actually works better to tie it all together.
basket.jpg

Data, after building a few of these, I have found it most cost effective purchasing the full 4x8 sheet of expanded metal and cutting to desired size. I also have a welder and used it on some baskets, but, found that a simple coat hanger wire actually works better to tie it all together.
basket.jpg

For many people that isn't really an option. I am trying to put together a DIY kit. I will be buying full sheets and cutting them down.

Ok here is what I have so far. All hardware is either stainless or plain steel. Nothing is zinc coated/galvanized/hot dipped etc.

------------------------------QTY
Air control
3/4" 2" Nipples--------------3
2 Caps---------------------2
3/4" Ball Valve--------------1
Magnets for top------------5
Conduit nuts---------------6

Grate Mount
2" 1/4" 20 Bolts-------------3
1/4" nuts-------------------6

Round Fire Basket
Expanded Steel 24x12-------2
1" 1/4" 20 bolts-------------4
Nuts-----------------------8
Fender Washers-------------8
Fender Washers for base-----6
Nuts for base----------------6
3" 1/4" 20 bolt---------------3
Zip Ties/wire-----------------4

Square Basket
Expanded Steel 12x12--------5
Zip ties/Wire----------------24

I am looking at a price somewhere in the $40-$50 range. You would have your choice of which basket style you would prefer. It would also come with detailed instructions and I would probably make a video walkthrough too.

Thoughts?

Huge thanks to menkemoose and everyone else for their advice.

Thoughts?

I'm not much of DIY'er at all - sightglass on the kettle, and weldless fittings on kettle/MLT, etc. is about all I've been good for.

I would be willing to pay for the kit with good instructions.

I'm willing to pay a little more for someone else to do the work.....

That's why I've never pursued a UDS; why do all that work when I can get something NIB for a few hundred...

I'm not much of DIY'er at all - sightglass on the kettle, and weldless fittings on kettle/MLT, etc. is about all I've been good for.

That's why I've never pursued a UDS; why do all that work when I can get something NIB for a few hundred...

I would be willing to build them complete to order but the only problem is that if you aren't local then shipping would kill you. I looked at shipping just an empty plain drum and it was $100 just to ship. Granted that was cross country and I wanted to get pretty much worst case, but it is still crazy.

With the kit all you would need for tools would be a drill, a step bit (I am looking into trying to get them wholesale but that won't be until I know this is going to be somewhat popular), a pair of pliers, and a wrench or socket set. Other than that you would need grates (homedepot, lowes, walmart, etc), a 55 gal drum, and a thermometer.

I'll have to let others comment on price but I think it's fair. I just found a place near Indy that has refurbished, unlined drums for $31 and new ones for $57. I'm trying to find out if they were food-grade on the used ones.

I'd probably be interested. I'm assuming I would need a thermometer? Anything else?

I'll have to let others comment on price but I think it's fair. I just found a place near Indy that has refurbished, unlined drums for $31 and new ones for $57. I'm trying to find out if they were food-grade on the used ones.

I'd probably be interested. I'm assuming I would need a thermometer? Anything else?

If it is refurbished then you are good. They will probably have no way of telling you what was in them before but it can't (well shouldn't be at least) anything toxic. Refurb is "like new".

You would need a thermo, grate(s), and a drum. There are tons of other options too but this will get you something a little more than the "basic model".

With the kit all you would need for tools would be a drill, a step bit (I am looking into trying to get them wholesale but that won't be until I know this is going to be somewhat popular), a pair of pliers, and a wrench or socket set. Other than that you would need grates (homedepot, lowes, walmart, etc), a 55 gal drum, and a thermometer.

Exactly - this I could handle...

All that other stuff I'm too lazy to figure out and shop for at a bunch of different places.

Hence the reason I bought my sightglass kit from Bobby_M and my weldless valves from bragainfittings.com....

Data, I think if you can package all that for $40-50, you've created a very good deal. If I hadn't built mine already, I'd have paid for a kit like that just to save some time.

After I build the square basket, I'll post some pics. If I can find some SS zip ties locally, I'll use those, so it should come out like your potential kit.

Good Luck!

Moose

Believe it or not the SS zip ties are 3x+ the cost of the steel for the basket. They are expensive as hell. I have some inquires into some companies about wholesale but who knows when I will hear something and what the min order would be. I am planning on going to pick up a sheet of expanded Sat and try and build one with just bailing wire or similar and see how it holds up.

AZ, there is not a smoker out there you could buy for $200 that would out perform one of these drums. I had a smoker I paid $1200 for and after I built my drum, I rarely used it.

I think Data is putting together a great deal for someone interested in one of these! Not having to go and gather all the parts is value in itself.

Ok here is what I have so far. All hardware is either stainless or plain steel. Nothing is zinc coated/galvanized/hot dipped etc.

------------------------------QTY
Air control
3/4" 2" Nipples--------------3
2 Caps---------------------2
3/4" Ball Valve--------------1
Magnets for top------------5
Conduit nuts---------------6

Grate Mount
2" 1/4" 20 Bolts-------------3
1/4" nuts-------------------6

Round Fire Basket
Expanded Steel 24x12-------2
1" 1/4" 20 bolts-------------4
Nuts-----------------------8
Fender Washers-------------8
Fender Washers for base-----6
Nuts for base----------------6
3" 1/4" 20 bolt---------------3
Zip Ties/wire-----------------4

Square Basket
Expanded Steel 12x12--------5
Zip ties/Wire----------------24

I am looking at a price somewhere in the $40-$50 range. You would have your choice of which basket style you would prefer. It would also come with detailed instructions and I would probably make a video walkthrough too.

Thoughts?

Huge thanks to menkemoose and everyone else for their advice.

I'm in for at least one. If you'd like, I'll send an e-mail out to our brew club. I know there's a few that have expressed interest in building a UDS. This may be the catalyst for them, as it is me, to actually build one.

I'm in for at least one. If you'd like, I'll send an e-mail out to our brew club. I know there's a few that have expressed interest in building a UDS. This may be the catalyst for them, as it is me, to actually build one.

That would be huge if you could do that. I would probably even throw in some sort of discount if enough were interested.

Well this is going to happen, at least in a limited fashion if nothing else. I am ordering everything today to be able to put together 10-12 kits. Depending on how it goes I will put in more orders for about 50 more and go from there.

Unfortunately, it does look like the price is going to be closer to the $50 mark instead of the $40 until I feel comfortable enough to put out the money for some very large orders. Sorry.

I was going to say that a large group-style buy might bring prices down for everyone (just get people to prepay) but it might be good to get the process down. I'd like to get one of the first kits and help work out some of the kinks. Given I need to verify that I can get the drum - sending email now.

I was going to say that a large group-style buy might bring prices down for everyone (just get people to prepay) but it might be good to get the process down. I'd like to get one of the first kits and help work out some of the kinks. Given I need to verify that I can get the drum - sending email now.

Thanks, I think there are quite a few places around Indy to get some drums. I am going to try and at some point get a list together for everything I can find around the country but that will take some serious time.

Thanks, I had the second one open already! and the first one actually ends up being the second one. I found a place in Terre Haute also.

Looking for a drum here. This is the response from a seller. I was trying to find an unlined. Should I believe him that it will ash this easisly? I doubt it.

drum-hocker said:
Unlined steel drums are not available in the food industry because just about everything reacts with mild steel. If you're looking to make a BBQ or smoker, the first time you bring a barrel up to temp the lining in any steel barrel will turn to ash. The coating on the inside is red.

I sell this all year for smokers and bbq's...

(if that is your intended use).

Looking for a drum here. This is the response from a seller. I was trying to find an unlined. Should I believe him that it will ash this easisly? I doubt it.

I have always gotten mine unlined so this is all hearsay, but I think the red liners are the most difficult to get out. With all liners you will want to burn it out as hot as you can get it. Drill your holes first then toss a bunch of old wood in there and light it up. The hotter the better. Many liners will flake off with enough heat but you still do need to get in there with a steel brush and get any of the stubborn stuff. I have heard though that the red ones sometimes need a grinder to really get them off.

I think I'll look around for an unlined one. I used to have one that I gave away to a scrapper. Didn't know about UDS then.

I will be interested in a kit. Probably not the first round tough.

Nope. Not that you can't burn it out, but it's not that easy. Lots of good info Here

Unlined can be difficult to find unless you find a company that sells refurbished drums. I wouldn't want a used unlined one.

I'm an admitted noob when it comes to these things. From what I've read the red liners are difficult to burn out.

There's this place in Denver

http://www.containerbuyers.com/

EDIT: Their website isn't the greatest, so I called them to ensure the link was legit. Spoke with Shawn in the warehouse (ex. 5). He said they'd sell to an individual on one or two quantity. They sell both lined and unlined open head drums. Also indicated you to stop buy to pick one out at their warehouse.

What process do they do to refurb? Quite honestly I doubt much happens. Hot water? The refurb label makes things sound better, but unless it is new you don't know what was in it. Even new ones are likely from China and shellacked in lead. Whatever I use I will likely try to heat it up pretty hot to burn things off.

Maybe I should get a lined one and head up to some BLM land with a truck full of wood. Heat that sucker up proper. My suburban nieghbors wouldn't like the burning part too much.

What process do they do to refurb? Quite honestly I doubt much happens. Hot water? The refurb label makes things sound better, but unless it is new you don't know what was in it. Even new ones are likely from China and shellacked in lead. Whatever I use I will likely try to heat it up pretty hot to burn things off.

Maybe I should get a lined one and head up to some BLM land with a truck full of wood. Heat that sucker up proper. My suburban nieghbors wouldn't like the burning part too much.

True, it is piece of mind I guess and it is much easier. I do take a big assed propane torch to it to season it first though.

Back