Cleaning a fermenter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyj

Reaction score
So I forgot to rinse out my fermenting/bottling bucket and it has a little bit of mold built up in it. Can this be adequately cleaned/sanitized or should I chunk it? If so how should I clean it?

scottyj said:
So I forgot to rinse out my fermenting/bottling bucket and it has a little bit of mold built up in it. Can this be adequately cleaned/sanitized or should I chunk it? If so how should I clean it?

I'd wash it with non-scented soap, followed with a rinse of mets bisulfite solution.

You could bleach it as well, just make sure you rinse well.

I buy a purple powder cleaning compound from my local hbs. I clean my buckets and barrels by putting a couple of teaspoons of the powder in, filling with hot water and leaving overnight. That seems to clean everything away.

i wouldn't throw it out...i'd wash it to visually clean with hot soap and water and then rinse will, soak it overnight in an oxyclean mix. in the morning dump out half the oxyclean, wash it well with your sponge/rag relying on the half bucket of oxyclean, then dump out the rest of the oxyclean. i would then rinse it again, spray it with sanitizer and store it.

Back