Fermentation Temperature schedule for S-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlighter

Reaction score
I am going to brew a Belgian Dubbel recipe (extract recipe) and use Safbrew S-33 yeast. Anyone have any tips on a temperature schedule for fermentation using this yeast? The temperatures indicated for the yeast have a pretty wide variance, 59-75 F.

I was thinking about holding my ferm chamber to 62-ish for three to five days, then ramping up to 68-ish to help the yeast finish up. Figured at least three weeks (OG 1.074)

I'd probly start around 68 then bump it up to low 70's after a week or so. belgians typically have some fruity ester flavors in them that yeast in higher ferm temps throw off. plus with that higher gravity you'll want to give the yeast a little extra nudge.

Main tip- I'd start by not using s-33 yeast. It is the old EDME yeast. No matter what the description says, it is NOT a Belgian yeast. It also doesn't attenuate very well and frankly is crap. You must use another yeast. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never used s-33 or is a complete crack pot.

I'd prefer the Westmalle strain (WY3787) but I've made other Dubbels that are nice that use WY1214. Make a starter b/c you want this thing to attenuate well.

Back