Cinnamon Red Hots in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Considering making a cherry/cinnamon-ey type beer of some sort. Just curious if anyone has used red hots in their beer. If so, how'd it work out? Any comments/concerns about using them?

Friend of mine used them. But it was his first batch, so I can't comment on how the Red Hots worked out because there was a ton of other crap in there too (apple juice, anise, God knows what else...). :)

Hmmmm, well, I'm really debating it. What can it hurt... right??? It'll PROBABLY still turn out to be beer!! :)

Wait... I have some Red Hots. I'll go see what's in 'em.

Okay, they're not Red Hots brand, they're Tabasco brand. But probably the same thing:

Sugar, corn syrup, natural and artificial flavor, confectioner's glaze, artificial colors, carnauba wax.

Sounds innocuous enough.

Yep, sounds good to me!! My thought is to make a "red hot" tea and add it to the secondary, to taste.

I think I'd crush them a little to break through the outer glaze.

corn syrup and other unnatural additives is disaster for a beer, I found that out the hard way with my maple syrup beer. I would suggest if any to add maybe a half or one red to each bottle.

Back