chimone & ollllllo - Cinco de Mayo in the Old Pueblo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Short notice, but you guys interested in a brewday and barbeque May 5th? I'm 1/2 way between ya and I was planning on brewing next Saturday. If this doesn't work we can figure out a weekend that works for the 3 of us if you're game. Casual stuff; I'd probably get some mexican style meats from a butcher near my work to grill up. Start around 10a or so on the brewing.

No guarantees on his availablily but I'd probably invite Steve the owner/brewer of Thunder Canyon Brewing over to drink and laugh at us as well. Or, we could go drink his beer during mash rests and steal some of his equipment while he's not looking. Could bend his ear, get a tour of his brewery if you want.

Nice!

Talking with the wife now....heres the deal. Looks like I may be able to do it, but it's not guaranteed. Since shes a bar manager and it is Cinco de Mayo, shes going to have to work. However, we are working on a sitter as I type this. Ill keep you posted.

I figure Ill just stay up there that night. I got a place over off Ina & Meredith to stay at so no need to worry about drinking and then driving back home later. But this sounds like alot of fun!

What recipe we going to be doing?

Dunno yet on what to brew. I got my new 3-tier and my old ghetto 3-tier and a spare turkey fryer burner so with some jostling we could get two batches going concurrently. And do a 10g batch to split but I only have my one 1/2 bbl keggle (my friend has had my other keg for a friggen month so far to retofit it). I'm still only using a 5g cooler for the mash so we'd have to work out what other goodies you guys would need to bring.

Lets see if ollllllo chimes in (I pm'ed him too) and if this date works for him; we'll hash out some details.

olllllo is going to have to pick up a growler on the way down of that Amarillo Ale he and Cheese drank. :mug:

Its not looking to hot at the moment. Everyone we would ask for a sitter has got plans for Cinco de Mayo

Looks f'ed up for this weekend Chimone? What about next weekend all?

olllllo said:
My wife will be out of town the 18 - 22 so any day that weekend would be perfect.

this sounds a little better. a bit of notice to her majesty and i just might be able to make it

I'm going to bring 2lbs of Hallertauer via MonsterMash to split up.
Also I should have the secret desert ingredient by then.

Will the new time work out db??

20th is booked (sunday) 19th; I gotta talk to the wife and see if she has something else i'm not aware of. Should get the answer by tmrw (she's flying right now). Chimone?

I just recieved 5lbs of the "ingredient". I bring it to split as well.
I'm going to ferment a batch this weekend and report the OG and FG.

Any suggestions for a yeast?

Me thinks just a safale 05. Crisp and taste neutral to not mask "the ingredient"

desertBrew said:
19th is open here. We're good if you are Chimone.

Ill let you know soon. Even if I have to leave early, I'd still like to come up and spend the morning brewing with you guys

Chimone said:
Ill let you know soon. Even if I have to leave early, I'd still like to come up and spend the morning brewing with you guys

Sounds good. It's on :rockin:

You want to do a hopsdirect purchase or somewhere else? Lets see, cascade I need. Nugget too but hopsdirect had only pellets of that. Probably should get the order in by Monday. 1lb of each is probably more than fine if they're still shipping 1.50#. I gotta toss what I bought last year; getting old.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/leafhops.html Only bittering one they got is galena but I'm up for what we wanna go in on. I'll buy so its shipped here and I got a vac sealer.

If Chimone covers me on the Sorachi, then I won't care what we get.

Cascade, Nugget and Galena work out for me.

I'll bring any leftover stuff and see about any oddball equipment we can swap or outright have. Kinda like what chics do with clothes.

I also have Hallertauer pellet to split via Monster Mash.

I just looked. I have 4 ounces of Sorachis to bring you. There aren't the newest ones though. I think they are 6 months old, but been in the freezer the whole time. It's up to you if you want them.

Any decisions on what we're brewing yet?

I'll buy 1# of cascade whole hops. I'm not sure about the nugget pellets though. I use nugget in both my ipa and porter which are regulars around here. I prefer whole but not sure why they don't have them this year. Galena I've used before but don't remember much about them. Should I get a lb of galena whole or nugget pellets? I guess the galena would loose the citrusy aroma w/ 60 minutes of boil... Choose wisely.

Galena Leaf Hops
A/A 13.2% [FONT=Georgia, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Used for bittering (very bitter hop), Galena has a citrusy aroma.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nugget Pellet Hops
a/a 13.6% - [FONT=Georgia, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Type 90 Hop Pellets. Used for flavor, aroma and bittering with an herbal aroma. [/SIZE]

[/FONT]

As for what to brew, no clue yet. Maybe brewpaster 777? Something else?

<bump>

Both you guys are online; Cascade and Galena then? You up for 1/3 split on that or you want some nugget pellets instead galena I gotta get to a meeting but'll order when I get out. Think they're both $6.95 a lb and probably * 2 for shipping so is cheap.

Galena and Cascade ordered.

Now, what the heck are we brewing? And what do you guys got to bring vs what I got handy. I got:

Two 3 tiers (one ghetto with no burners)
1 turkey fryer burner (need to test to make sure I didn't bust it)
1 keggle
1 5g mash tun (sigh)
7 & 4g pots no spickets.
pre-chiller (haven't used it yet)
counter flow chiller.
2x propane tanks (1 is on the grill; balancing act)
o2 aerator
All the other BS for moving wort around.

Equip swap - saw that msg ollllllo. I got a 5, 10 and 20 co2 tank. Can only see two in my short/long term future. Only problem is the 10 & 20 I haven't had tested yet. I'm not saying, I'm just saying :p. Either of you pin-lock keggers? I got one I have no use for. Other crap as my mind thinks of it.

Cooking. Vegetarians either of ya? I'll be going to the sonoran meat market for some marinated chicken, beef and pork the day before for the grill. Good authentic ****. Some freshly made tortilla's, salsa and refried beenies would be good to top it off that if you know of some good stuff maybe you guys could bring.

Could be hot - swimming, or at least a jump in to cool off is available (swimsuit required).

Brewing: Open. I did the 777, but can do it again especially since I neeed the practice and I want to do what ever recipe you guys do so that we can compare notes. My 3 AGs have been "seat of your pant" affairs.

I have enough portable Equipment to do the 2 tier thing moving the wort from the MLT to the boil pot manually:

1 black and decker tool stand
1 cooler (for 2nd tier)
1 keggle as a HLT
1 10g Cooler MLT
1 Boil keggle
2 Bayou Classic burners
2 Propane
1O2 aerator
1 Prechiller
1 Shirron plate
1 completely untested wort wizard
1 hop randall
1 hopstopper that ocassionally loses its seal (hit and miss, I think I overtightened it)

and one small ass Jeep to fit it in.

SWAP or really give aways:
Pin lock socket.
Bunches of barbed corny fittings.
3 or 4 Regular faucets that will stick (I'm just saying) I will only give to you if you swear it's for a jockey box and not devoted to full time use.

Eating: Yes that all sounds good.

Cooking or Bringing: I can bring some Los Dos Molinos Salsa and refrieds.

Beer: I'll see about getting a 1/2 corny of the Amarillo cream from Sonaora. I don't know what growlers of my stuff will bring

I got a full 5 and 10 gallon setup.

If you're wanting to go 10 gallons I can bring the MLT and a keggle/chiller. Plus I have one of those nifty 210k BTU burners.

let me know what you need, and Ill just throw it in the pickup before I leave

and your food idea sounds delicious

Brew: We'll do something other than the 777 then. Lets all do the same 5g batch of whatever we decide should make it easy enough. Probably should leverage all the hops we're going to have around too. Something summerish I'd guess. Dunno if you want to bring your grains or we all head down to my LHBS (Meet chimone perhaps) that opens at 10a. It's about 10m south of me. We got time to figure that out.

Equip: Chimone, if you can bring your burner that'd make 3 (I'll test my fryer olllllo) and I got the other two tier for someone so we got one tier to go or could rig one with whatever we find. Sounds like olllllo is a bit strapped for space but both should definitely bring your own brew pot and mashtun. Not sure if you both batch sparge but I fly and have two HLT's. One is a big old plastic thing with a spigot so if you fly, I got two. heat loss nowadays should be a non-issue. Other than that if it's small I'd probably bring it so you got your stuff your familiar with. Don't forget your fermenter ;)

Food: That sounds great olllllo.

Beer: Ditto if you can ollllo (you buy the portable co2 gun?). I'll have my ipa and probably my hefe on tap. Porter I'll sideline since it's amped up @ 7% and not a fun day drinker. Oh, and Steve the owner/brewer from Thunder Canyon will be coming over sometime too. And another buddy of mine from the bar. Steve should bring a couple-o-growlers of his doppelbock if its still around. Mighty tasty.

heres how I see it.

personally I'd rather just brew something and let you ferment it out if you have the room. If you need an extra carboy let me know. But Im kind of hesitant about brewing then driving back with a full 5 1/2 gallons on the front seat of my truck. That has disaster written all over it.

Which part of town do you live in by the way??

Chimone said:
heres how I see it.

personally I'd rather just brew something and let you ferment it out if you have the room. If you need an extra carboy let me know. But Im kind of hesitant about brewing then driving back with a full 5 1/2 gallons on the front seat of my truck. That has disaster written all over it.

Which part of town do you live in by the way??

NW - 1 mile from Foothills Mall. Only concern would be temp management with me fermenting it for ya. I got my chest freezer but don't think we could fit two in there at the same time since I got some kegs in there too. Or are you thinking you'd just come back and keg it later? I could put it in the fermentation chiller. Primary's I got are 1 6.5g carboy, two 6g (blowoff time) and one plastic bucket. Whatabout a bucket instead? Don't want to chance taking that home? Let me your thoughts chimone, I could accomodate the ferm and keg it later model for 1 of you.

to be totally honest, Im not worried too much about brewing for myself that day. I think it would just be cool to get out of town and brew with someone new. You should take advantage, its not everyday you get your own assistant brewer for the afternoon ;) :mug:

olllllo what are your plans? You staying up in Tucson that night or are you driving back later that afternoon? I just know if theres a corny of Amarillo Ale, a keg or two of desert's beer, and then some growlers from TCB......well Im not too sure if Im going to be able to drive home afterwards. Too much good beer. Plus I was planning on stopping into The Plaza on the way into town.

we'll see though. I have a buddy of mine over off Ina and Meredith. I may see if I can crash at his place that night.

I'd offer up boarding but my wifey might freak on the thought that my yet to meet internet friends are being offered a room. I'd be denied that request on the 1st pass :cross:.

Brew & drink if you like - if your intentions are to head home later, cut yourself off 2h before you hit the road. I'm figuring if we actually kick things off by 10a or so, we'll all be spent by 6-7p anyways with food, drink and sun. BTW, yes I brew in the garage...

so chimone's not going to brew but merely socialize which is cool. What do we want to brew up olllllo? I think we need to use some of those hallertau you're coming down with. And/or the 1lb of cascase and galena I ordered. I'd kind of like to do some lighter lawnmower beverage but never have before. The hallertau could be nice in this realm. Any thoughts? Chimone, since ollllo has the jeep can you help him out with what equip he may not be able to fit? Not sure what that is but... oh, and I want to see someone's shirron chiller :).

how's that secret ingredient thing going btw.

Lawn mower sounds good.
As for the space in the jeep. I think I'll be Ok, but it'll be a little tight.

I haven't seen any signs of fermentation yet...

RDWHAHB.

well this figures.....

long story short, the wife lost two waitresses over the weekend, and will now have to fill in for them this weekend. Looks like Im screwed yet again. I was really looking forward to this too.

Sorry guys, but this is the story of my life. Anyone want to brew in Sierra Vista?

Back