Ale styles fermented with lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
For the next several weeks - until I get my temp controller for my fermentaton fridge - it'll be easier for me to ferment at lager temperatures than at ale temps. While I am enjoying being able to make "true" lagers, I am interested in my fellow HBTers experiences with fermenting classic ale styles with lager yeasts/at lager temperatures. Who has made an India Pale Lager, English Pale Lager, Irish Red Lager, Milk Stout Lager, or even (gasp) a lagered sour?

I would very much appreciate if you took a few minutes to share your experiences and tasting notes!

Wouldn't lager yeast attenuate too much and leave a much thinner crisper beer?
I would think any pale ale would do good, but any darker beer would lose its character too much.

If you do a stout with lager yeast you're making in essence a tropical stout. They're really refreshing.

I have a lot of info and recipes in this thread.

If you decide to do my final recipe do not prime with the date mollasses though.

I've tried a couple Irish red lagers before. The smoothness of the lagering process complements the toasted malts well.

Forgot about the Baltic Porter!

I think I see a Red or Amber lager in my near future. Thanks for the feedback.

Back