Back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papagayo

Reaction score
Question: if you are going to backsweeten after secondary with the intention of then kegging and force carbing, what do you use to make sure that fermenation doesn't start up again?

From what I understand, SO2 will not kill the yeast or even hold them at bay indefinitely, that eventually the yeast will get back at it. Pastuerizing would work, but I'd rather not cook the cider, and I have a lot, so it would be very cumbersome. Do you use potassium sorbate?

Ye, that will work for you. There are three sticky threads at the top of this subforum, one is an overall look at making cider and it addresses your question of stopping the yeast and backsweetening, if you'd like to read more about it.

k-sorbate and k-meta should do the trick nicely. If you want to avoid boiling and drugs, consider adding a non-fermentable to backsweeten, such as Splenda or lactose.

Does anyone know where I can get information on how much K-sorbate to add to properly knock out the yeast?

Latest posts

Back