Water from hose vs Water from sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtt121

Reaction score
I recently got my water report, the sample was taken from my kitchen sink. I usually brew with water from my outside hose. I wasn't really worried about the difference but now I feel like I should have waited for my hose to unfreeze before I sent my sample.

Does anyone have experience with water reports from different parts of their house? How much can it vary? BTW I have a 150 ft well as my source.

Just incase: My water:

calcium 9
Magnesium 3
Sodium 35
chloride 2
sulfate 1
bicarbs 115

If they're both from the same source, then should be very little difference. Just prepare yourself for all the alarms that are going to be raised from you using a garden hose, e.g., leaching chemicals and bacteria.

+1 to What TopDog said. I would avoid using a non potable water hose but hey if you think it tastes good, well, I'd still rather use an RV hose at least. I know how nasty the insides of regular garden hoses get, and how great rubber tastes.

Thanks for the replies. I probably will just stop using the hose. I knew there would be bacteria living in it, but hey its all boiled. As for the chemicals, admittedly didnt think of that, though it does taste the same as water from the kitchen. I assume an RV hose is a special hose used for drinking water?

I have worked at many a golf course that fills the on-course water bottles straight from the hose. I think I have been drinking hose water my whole life!

I use a potable water (blue) hose for my brewing water. It doesn't contain plasticizers, so is not as flexible as a normal garden hose. I don't worry about the bacteria, as it is boiled.

If both your hose and house get their water from the same source, and you don't have a water softener or anything in the house that is not on the hose, then the chemistry will be the same.

+1 for the RV or potable water hoses. I wouldnt worry about bacteria from a garden hose as much as I worry about the taste.

My dogs don't even like water from the garden hose much :)

RV water hoses are typically white with a blue stripe. They may give a odor at first but are made out of food grade materials, because everything in the state of California causes cancer (note humor here). I drank plenty of hose water as a kid myself and look I turned out great!

RV water hoses are typically white with a blue stripe. They may give a odor at first but are made out of food grade materials, because everything in the state of California causes cancer (note humor here). I drank plenty of hose water as a kid myself and look I turned out great!

Yup, rode our bikes and skateboards around the neighborhood with no helmets and no adult supervision, rode in the front seat of the car with no booster seat, and drank the hose water when we got thirsty. Not to mention you could actually wander outside in the dog days of summer without the mosquitos carrying you away as they were liberal with the DDT. How did we survive?

Yup, rode our bikes and skateboards around the neighborhood with no helmets and no adult supervision, rode in the front seat of the car with no booster seat, and drank the hose water when we got thirsty. Not to mention you could actually wander outside in the dog days of summer without the mosquitos carrying you away as they were liberal with the DDT. How did we survive?

Don't forget your mother probably smoked and drank during her pregnancy.

Used to go my buddies house after school to go hunting. All we needed was a note from mom to bring our shotguns on the bus and to school. (but we had to leave them in the office)

Is it the bacteria, or the lead in regular garden hoses that is the problem?

Currently, I only use the garden hose for washing up and cooling water. All brew water is coming from the sink.

I'm about to pick up a 50ft RV hose from Wally World. Then, I am going to recirculate some oxyclean water through it to get the new taste out.

I have used a basic garden hose for my first 6 AG batches. I haven't tasted anything out of the ordinary, but in a typical case of overreacting I purchased an RV hose and this in-line filter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VQHRCC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a whole house filter already that filters sediment, so this water will essentially be double filtered.

At least I won't have to lose sleep wondering about the water quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can definitely taste hose water from my hose so i use potable, but its very noticeable on my hose, others may not be as bad

The quality and type of materials used in hoses varies wildly. They also get cooked in the summer and frozen in the winter.

Back