Dallas/Fort Worth Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am a bit rusty and can cause a squeak. :mug:

Can you tell that part of my job is being a squeaky wheel?

Tomorrow has come and gone - have we received an update? If you need help being a squeaky wheel lemme know what I can do.

We are neck and neck with Houston status-

Our application has been sent to corporate, just waiting for approval.

I am keeping up with schaez of the Houston Grain Buy to see who's get's approved first.

I know this sucks guys, I want to be democratic about it if anyone wants to chime in. We can have a vote to stick it out some more.

All our money is sitting in my account waiting to send to my credit card once the order is placed. If we decide to cancel I will of course refund on PayPal.

I don't want to cancel personally, because we are still making progress.

Sorry to hold up everyone's cash, I honestly thought we were ready to order.

I can wait. You've one though quite a bit to get this done for which we are all thankful.

While we wait and I've got all you guys that brew in the DFW area around, what is your favorite LHBS in the area and why?

More importantly, is there a shop in DFW that is either in a more industrial area, or perhaps in a spot that is very spacious, or perhaps next to a Lowes, Home Depot, ect. The reason I ask is, I am often in the area, but I am in a truck with a 53' trailer. There are many places I can't access as dropping said trailer is never an option.

While we wait and I've got all you guys that brew in the DFW area around, what is your favorite LHBS in the area and why?

More importantly, is there a shop in DFW that is either in a more industrial area, or perhaps in a spot that is very spacious, or perhaps next to a Lowes, Home Depot, ect. The reason I ask is, I am often in the area, but I am in a truck with a 53' trailer. There are many places I can't access as dropping said trailer is never an option.

Well - at Homebrew HQ might be tough to drop a trailer. You have to navigate the city streets well off the highway on top of having limited options for parking...... However, The Winemaker's Toystore/Texas Homebrew is right off I-35E and Beltline on the North bound side. You could, and I've seen people, park their trailers on the access road and walk over to the business park.

As far as a favorite - I like both of them for different reasons. Homebrew Headquarters seem to stock more hardware (pumps, mills, etc.) and The Winemaker's Toystore is easier for me to get to from where I live. Their prices are comparable overall....one store may be a little higher than the other on various items, but I've never found a huge difference in pricing OVERALL for a particular grain bill. Others may have a different experience though....just my $0.02.

Well - at Homebrew HQ might be tough to drop a trailer. You have to navigate the city streets well off the highway on top of having limited options for parking...... However, The Winemaker's Toystore/Texas Homebrew is right off I-35E and Beltline on the North bound side. You could, and I've seen people, park their trailers on the access road and walk over to the business park.

As far as a favorite - I like both of them for different reasons. Homebrew Headquarters seem to stock more hardware (pumps, mills, etc.) and The Winemaker's Toystore is easier for me to get to from where I live. Their prices are comparable overall....one store may be a little higher than the other on various items, but I've never found a huge difference in pricing OVERALL for a particular grain bill. Others may have a different experience though....just my $0.02.

I really appreciate the input. I drove by Austin Home brew once, and decided against parking in the street. Learn to Brew in OKC would be sketchy. Texas Homebrewing at Beltline sounds worth checking out.

It's the weekend so I'm sure Country Malt is closed. I still haven't heard anything yet. Since schaez in the Houston buy is waiting on the same step, I have PM'ed and haven't heard anything from him either, so I'm guessing they are waiting too.

I plan to call them again on Thursday as that is the two week point since they said the info was being sent to corporate.

At this point, I think a call every other day is in order. Seems they indicated back on the 10th that the order was a go. Here we are the 27th with no movement. Emails are easy to ignore, the person calling you every other day isn't. Based on interest expressed on the board, we're far from a huge customer but it sounds like we'd be able to put together a pallet every other month or so.

I'd call today, ask WHO you need to talk to in order to push this process along and follow the rabbit trail. A piece of paper is even easier to ignore than an e-mail, and I'd imagine that's exactly what we are to the person in corporate responsible for the next step.

That said, I'm a pushy SOB...and there's a solid reason that I did not volunteer to head up a group buy. Such things are a pain in the ass for the organizer of same.

Yeah, I agree. I'll try calling today. Wish me luck. I'm sure once we get one order under our belts we'll be smooth next time!

Boom.
Thanks for the nudge.
I called and they said my account was approved and I can order.

I'll update when we have a date of arrival!

Boom.
Thanks for the nudge.
I called and they said my account was approved and I can order.

I'll update when we have a date of arrival!

I can't overstate my appreciation for you doing the leg work on this. Cheers to you! Let's make beer.

Alright guys they will have to remove a bag of grain to get the starsan on the pallet. If anyone wants to drop a sack and receive a refund please let me know in the next couple of hours, otherwise I'm just going to drop the starsan for this order. Sorry guys originally they said it wouldn't be an issue.

I'd rather have the grains than the Star San. Star San lasts a really long time anyways. One bottle from the LHBS will take care of me for 6 months or better.....

Done. I'll drop the Starsan for this buy and we can talk about adding it next time.

Sorry man, no even though I requested it I haven't heard since Thursday. It seems calling them works the best.

Vendors suck.

The customer should not have to babysit them but they almost always do.

Silly vendors.

How will pickup be arranged? Are we all meeting there at the same time or everyone just coming on their time and picking up the grain they bought?

I wont be able to go over there today unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to pick it up until after work tomorrow or during lunch on Thursday.

I am waiting to hear from Teal. As soon as I get a copy of what everyone ordered we can setup pick up times. As far as I am concerned people can come by when ever I am here. The grain will be stored in a locked warehouse.

I am waiting to hear from Teal. As soon as I get a copy of what everyone ordered we can setup pick up times. As far as I am concerned people can come by when ever I am here. The grain will be stored in a locked warehouse.

Since we are talking about a warehouse, can I assume that I can pull in there with a 53' trailer? Were in DFW are we talking?

F yeah!

Stupid supplier never even told me it shipped.

I hope the total cost was right, never even got an invoice...

Well anyways, Joel, do you mind if everyone picks up there during business hours?

Alright guys, since the grain arrived a little early we are working on details of pickup.

Joel (jhw_murphy) has been nice enough to offer to hold the grain and handle the distribution, so please PM or email me or him for the address so we don't put his address on the web. His business is in Garland, and as per his previous post please pickup during business hours.

I am headed over tomorrow at 10AM to break down the pallet and get piles going for each brewer.

I still have yet to see a total price for the buy, so I hope they charged me correctly...

If anyone needs special requests for pickup, please let me or Greg know. He will have a copy of the list tomorrow.

I will process the refund for the 3 people who wanted starsan tonight when I get home.

Other than that, cheers everyone! We did it!

I will start a thread for buy #2 in the next few weeks or so, since there has been some interest since this buy closed. I will probably be set for about 6 months.

Thanks Tealio and JHW for doing this! You rock!

You know, tealio, JHW will have an overrun PM box in no time since it looks like he's not a premium member.

Do you have the e-mail addresses of purchasers and would you be able to email an address?

Back