OMG!!! Is my beer ruined? Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveAllen

Reaction score
Just kidding. My first beer turned out great. I didn't worry about it, and I didn't freak out when me and my brewbuddy made some minor mistakes. We gave it an extra week in primary, and two weeks in secondary. I just popped this half bottle to check carbing at the two week mark (I was fully ready to wait another week or couple). It's not green at all. First one turned out great, even warm, and even at 0930. Drinking your first homebrew is okay at 0930 if it's your birthday, right?

03060855crop.jpg

Drinking anything at 9:30 on your birthday is not just ok, it's encouraged. Congrats on the brew, it looks great. I'd have a few today, but keep most of your batch for another week or two before you start into it. It still looks like your beer is going to be relatively flat once the head dissapates, this will clear up after another week or two. Plus regardless of how normal the beer tastes, it will improve over time. I would drink one ever couple of days just to experience the transition.

Congrats on a good lookin brew!! and happy birthday!

It retained about a third of that head, and while I wouldn't call it flat, I can see it developing more carbonation. I'm just pleasantly surprised that I not only found it drinkable, it was quite tasty.

I think being an experienced wine/mead maker helped us with patience and not freaking out. The time it takes beer to be consumable is NOTHING compared to mead.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

9:30? I don't think Europeans would give that a second though.

Heck my gal and I once got odd looks from a couple of sheepish prudes, as we enjoyed our very large mugs of stout at brunch.

I say if you feel like a beer, have it. Especially when its your own. You do have to make sure it's progressing well afterall! :mug:

That is beer #1? Looks great man. Can tell it'll have great lacing too. What kind of beer is it?

That is beer #1? Looks great man. Can tell it'll have great lacing too. What kind of beer is it?

It's a Brewer's Best American Amber extract kit. I wish I had shot a pic of the lacing; it was quite nice.

Back