scales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
So, now that I'm working off of a 55 lb bag of grain, I realize just how tedious it is using a 1 lb kitchen scale, or bathroom scale with youself plus empty bowl as a tare weight. It begs the question: what do you folks who buy grain in bulk use or do for a grain scale. :confused:

Try http://www.northernbrewer.com/scales.html.
The 11 lb capacity is enough for most grains, and the 0.1 oz resolution is accurate enough for hops.
I have one with 11 lb capacity, but the same shape as the 44 lb one. It came with an AC adapter which I much prefer to batteries.
It's worth looking on line, as you can occasionally get some really good deals.

-a.

Here's an eBayer who always has a bunch of auctions on scales. Because he has so many active listings, you're almost guaranteed to win an auction at its starting bid of about $1, and shipping is about $15. I bought the 50 lb model, and it appears to be accurate to +/- .2 oz. I'll use that one for grain, and I'll use the smaller one I already own for hops (accurate to +/- 1 gram).

http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Pounds-and-Ounces

+1 on the ebay scales Yuri mentioned. I bought one, for .96 cents. Yea the shipping was a bit steap, but after all said and done, less than 20.00 and it was here in a week. Works perfect and is a nice size. Well worth it. Welllllllll worth it.

I also bought one of the ebay scales. The purchase price was cheap, but shipping was expensive. Still came out cheaper than any other place I could find it online or locally.

I also use a small digital kitchen scale to weigh out my hops since it has finer resolution at that quantity

FYI, you're not really paying $15 for shipping. It's just an eBay tactic to keep listing costs to a minimum as well as make the item look more attractive at a glance. The seller doesn't expect the auction to draw much bidding action, he just wraps some of the product cost into the shipping figure. I'm pretty sure eBay frowns upon that sort of thing, but I can't argue with a $16 scale that works well.

Thanks for the heads-up Yuri, I just bought one as well. About $17 shipped. It's got to be easier than using my kitchen scale (which maxes out at 5lb) and more accurate than my bathroom scale.

If you are near a rural area, you can check out feed and animal supply stores. You should be able to find a hanging grain scale much like this:
P3160012.jpg

Got mine for ~$15 and weighs up to 50lbs. For hops and smaller grain additions, I use a digital postal scale i got at walmart. 3lb capacity with 0.1oz resolution, and a gram feature.... Works for everything I want to do.

Here's an eBayer who always has a bunch of auctions on scales. Because he has so many active listings, you're almost guaranteed to win an auction at its starting bid of about $1, and shipping is about $15. I bought the 50 lb model, and it appears to be accurate to +/- .2 oz. I'll use that one for grain, and I'll use the smaller one I already own for hops (accurate to +/- 1 gram).

http://stores.ebay.com/Just-Pounds-and-Ounces

Thanks for the lead. Just bought one.

Delpo

I tried to buy one, someone outbid me lol. I'll get one sometime.

Edit: Got the next one. 35lb scale on the way to me.

Bumping an old thread here... Didnt want to create a new thread. Anyone that has the scale from Pounds & Ounces I bought one and used it once and tried to use it today and it wont work. I am outside the 30 day return and such. Hoping someone can help with the issue I am having. When I turn it on I get the count down from 9 to 0 then the display now shows what looks like a CD icon on the left side of the LCD manual says its stable indicator. I also have a 0 with 2 arrows pointing to it and the manual says its Zero indicator. Now I have tried to weigh things and get nothing. Removed batteries and nothing.

Any ideas??

I have reached out to Pounds & Ounces in hopes of being able to swap it out or hoping to figure out what is wrong.

Thanks in Advance.

Latest posts

Back