2 Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my keg set up and was wondering how you guy(and Gals) get the soda smell out of the cornys.

Also when I keg the beer, how do I get the O2 out of the keg after puting the beer in. Should I be conserned about that?

Thanks

1.) Wash really well, overnight soak with OxyClean for me (there are various ways of doing this. Replace any O-rings (and poppets are a good idea too) that have ever seen soda.

2.) Pressurize the corny and pull the pressure release a couple of times. This should void most of the O2 in the headspace.

I don't keg yet, but I believe to get rid of the soda smell, you need to replace all the gaskets. The stainless steel won't hold smells, so you can just clean that part really good.

As for your other question, I'll be interested to hear the answer on that as well. I would assume that after you prime the keg, you purge the oxygen out as the CO2 is produced or forced into the keg.

First, you wanna change the O-rings, they hold a lot of that smell. Then take the dip tubes, lid and posts and throw them inside the keg and fill it with hot water and oxyclean or one step. and let it soak overnight.

To purge the oxygen out, seal the keg a put some co2 on it. Then pull the pressure relief. Do it one more time. CO2 is heavier than air so it will displace it all.

neckbone said:
I don't keg yet, but I believe to get rid of the soda smell, you need to replace all the gaskets. The stainless steel won't hold smells, so you can just clean that part really good.

As for your other question, I'll be interested to hear the answer on that as well. I would assume that after you prime the keg, you purge the oxygen out as the CO2 is produced or forced into the keg.

any body who thinks stainless can't hold smells has never seen a root beer keg! I am super carfull to only get NON root beer used kegs as they are much easier to de oderize. I generally break em all down throw away the old gaskets and poppets. clean as best I can with soap and water. A new (and I stress new) toilet brush makes a good scrubber. then rinse and soak in water and baking soda for a couple of days. repeat as neccessary till they smell clean.

as for purging, its already been said. just fill and pressurize with a little co2 and pull the relief valve, repeat and your in an o2 free environment. I also recomend purging the vessell of o2 before filling. That way you have less to worry about. just fill the keg with co2 purge a couple of times so you know ther is no o2 and then rack in your beer. The co2 is heavier than o2 so none will leave the keg when you open the top. If you need some assurance that ther is only co2 in your keg, pop the top and run a lighter across the opening when you are above the open keg the flame should go out from lack of o2. if it doesn't put some more gas in there!

Back