Mash Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
I am done with my 4th all grain and things are looking good however, I am not sure about the mash part. I can hit and maintain my temps well enough however my efficeincy is only 66% I need to do a better job of mixing the mash and running off the sparge a little slower to increase that.
My runnings are not very clear. I vourlauf about a gallon however it never seems to run clear. My tun is a rectangular cooler with a stainless braid. Here is a picture of the runnings after they settle for a while. It is not husks, its more like a hazy starchy looking cloudy thing.
Any thoughts about what I am doing wrong is appreciated.
sample1.gif

Yeah, that happens. Nothing to worry about. 66% isnt too bad of an efficiency, stick with it and keep good records/numbers

Whew, thanks. The local HBS crushed it with a really nice motorized thing, they also have a brewery so I hope it is right.
Do you think filtering through cheese cloth might help?

Whew, thanks. The local HBS crushed it with a really nice motorized thing, they also have a brewery so I hope it is right.
Do you think filtering through cheese cloth might help?

No! It's fine the way it is. The cold and hot break will settle in the fermenter, and will not affect the beer at all.

And for a piece of encouragement - I'd say it takes about 10AG batches to really know your system. Don't try to change your system too much from batch to batch.

If a brewery is crushing your grains, then I'd be fairly confident in the crush. Try running off slower as a first experiment.

Back