Lager questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
I currently have a dopplebock going in the primary using saflager w-34/70. My garage is around 46 degrees. The yeast says a minimum of 48 degrees. Will I be okay? Should I maybe wrap the fermenter in some blankets, or would the heat produced from the fermentation then make it too warm? Any help or experiences would be great.

The heat produced from fermentation will take it a few degrees warmer for a time. 9°C (48°F) is the minimum recommended temp. That yeast will ferment below that, just a little slower. At 46°F, I would leave it as is... I wouldn't mess with a blanket or anything. It should produce a nice clean lager.

Okay, great! Thanks for the reply. I will just let it go then.

I think you will be fine. But if you raise the temperature toward the end of fermentation that might help squeeze out the last few points of attenuation...

you will most likely be ok. i would recommend, when your budget allows, getting a fermwrap, thermowell carboy cap, and a temp controller (preferably a 2 stage). it will allow you to keep your brew above room temp once fermentation slows and the heat generated by the yeast goes down.

Back