organic cleaners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with organic/natural sanitation products? I just hate to be using such caustic chemicals, the monks of yesteryear didn't have chlorine bleach.

LOL

They didn't have plastic, either. If you want to go truly old school, heat is the best and oldest sanitizer out there, but it doesn't go to well with some plastics.

TL

Oxyclean is a good cleanser
Star san is a good sanitizer

both are eco-friendly compared to lots of other stuff. hell, you can drink star-san.

Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate and detergent mixed together, which breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and salt. Neither of which is bad for the enviornment, but if you use a septic system I would not recommend putting large amounts of the stuff down the drain.

Star san on the other hand is acid based and once the PH drops below 3 the solution becomes inert and the residual chemicals can be used by bacteria and yeast as nutrients, so it could actually be considered "good" for the environment. That is if you consider microorganisms the environment.

cool, thanks a lot still a bit of a freshling to this brewing thing but trying to remedy my newbie status

Latest posts

Back