Belgian candi sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skybolt0

Reaction score
I"m going to make a Oatmeal Stout and I would like to put in dark candi sugar in this recipe. My question is all candi sugar different from Belgian candi sugar. Im not a fan of Belgian beers and i'm afraid of the belgian sugar giving my Stout that taste. Hope someone can ease my mind.
Thanks

Do you want to use sugar to increase the OG, or for flavor. If OG, use corn sugar. Candi sugar is designed to add that "belgian" flavor.

Maybe look into more traditional English syrups like treacle or lyle's golden syrup.

Major characteristic of the Belgian beers comes from the yeast, and not the candy sugar. But really if you are just after the higher OG, you should just use corn syrup, or you can use sugar. Heck you can make invert sugar by boiling sugar and a little bit of lemon juice. Invert sugar is simply a break of sucrose down to fructose+glucose (1 for 1).

Thanks for the imput. I was looking for both here OG and flavor. I think that i will just add some sugar but even thought of using molasses instead. If the I was sure the Belgain candi wouldnt give me that Belgain flavor I would use it. here is the recipe that I was going to use this in.

10lb Marris Otter
1.5 Flaked Oats
1lb Black Malt
1lb Briess chocolate 350
Mash at 153 for 60 min
2oz Centennial 60 min
2oz Centennial 150min
1 Vanilla Bean 15 min
60min boil

Thanks

Back