Any thoughts on my recipe for a black ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sils13

Reaction score
So I haven't done a big beer yet and with winter approaching I thought it b something to try and I can just let it sit forever lol wanted to do an imperial stout or imperial ipa so I thought what the hell ill just do a imperial black ipa lol I'm open for suggestions or thoughts or criticism let me hear it I already have everything so ill be brewing it Sunday and since I don't think my 10 gal mash tun will b big enough I'm going to use my sparge cooler also and pretty much have to mash tuns with my work in progress keggle as my sparge tank!
Also I currently have a 1600 ml starter going which I'm goin to decant tomorrow night and pitch into a half gallon starter

image-2358878464.jpg

image-1388184783.jpg

Sorry for the screen shots I could copy and paste from I brewmaster :(

This looks like my first attempt at a Black IPA that actually turned out to be a stout. I didn't do enough research on the actual style and just kind of threw in a bunch of dark crystal and roasted malts. I'd tone the malt bill down quite a bit unless you're looking for a hoppy stout/porter.

Also, the hop addition times are kind of odd. For example, I'm not sure if there's really much difference between a 90 and 82 minute bittering addition.

Here's a good link:

http://***********/stories/beer-sty.../2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

Take out all Roasted Barley and Chocolate, add 1 lb Carafa II or III. Replace C120 with C60. Cheers!

You may want to consider using midnight wheat. Using this as 2 percent of the grain bill will give it a good dark color without adding a whole lot anything else. You can use more in the sparge to get an even darker color.

I recently just made one that is tasting very good out of the secondary. I kept the grain bill fairly simple:

9.5# Marris Otter
1# crystal 60l
1# flaked oats
.5# sugar
.25# Carafa III

Then with 15 minutes left in my boil I added about a half gallon of water that had 8 oz of chocolate malt cold steeping in it overnight. It created a really smooth and subtle dark malt flavor.

I'm fairly particular with how I like my black ipa's, hop dominant but it should have a smooth subtle roast flavor. I agree with Tinytowers, the hop additions are interesting.

That's definitely not a black IPA. That's a ridiculously roasty imperial stout with a ****ton of hops. +1 for replacing roasted/choc malts with a dehusked/debittered roasted malt. If it were my recipe, I'd lose the black, roasted, and chocolate malts completely. Add .5-1lb of a dehusked caraffa or blackprinz malt. I'd also probably cut back on the c120 to .75lbs, but that's just my preference.

All of that roast is going to seriously take away from the hops, which should be very forward in a black IPA. I'd also cut back on the bittering hop additions. I'd move probably half of your 90-30min additions to somewhere between 30 and 0min.

I agree.. That looks like some imperial baltic porter kitchen sink mash up.

You want to keep in mind, run a normal IPA, and add the carafa or something dehusked and in small amount to give you the color and the slight roast. The hops should shine still.

So I'm understanding that this is more up the alley of of a imperial stout and I'm just gonna adjust my hop additions for that style any suggestions

sils13 said:
So I'm understanding that this is more up the alley of of a imperial stout and I'm just gonna adjust my hop additions for that style any suggestions

Different kind of hops, for starters...

I got some homegrown centenial I could toss in ugh I've learned lesson of not jumping into things lol

Gonna just wing this one and take good notes I think it will b a good learning lesson was thinking to try and get second runnings off it also

How did it turn out? Did you go with the original recipe? If so, it'd be interesting hear about it.

So ya It was a awesome brew day busting out some toys mainly just a pump but I had like 15' of left over copper so I used that as a make shift herms coil in my boil kettle. I olso used my homemade garden hose chiller which worked awesome came out at like 65 degrees from boil so that made me happy I officially love pumps. I ended up going with a 60 minute boil and leaving out all the first 30 min additions which brought my ibu's to like 86sh. I had a pretty solid mash at about 153 degrees started to fall at the end tho hit my gravity rite on the money at 1.110, I also did a second running recirculating that as well hit a O.G. At about 1.049 which I was a ill surprised didn't think it would b that at high but it'll b interesting I think! ended up doing a 90 min boil cause I was a kinda high on my volume I used a similiar hop schedule with that beer! Used a half gallon starter that took off in about 12 hours 3/4 in the big beer 1/4 in the ill guy! Fermentation in the big beer has been insane glad I went straight to the blowoff tube and the little one has been bubbling away! If the big one gets stuck I plan on just racking the lil one into secondary and putting the big one on that yeast cake! To finish it up shooting for 1.024 F.G. c what happens! It looks awesome super dark and a very brown head

Boiling the big boy

image-964995171.jpg

Second runnings

image-3850623212.jpg

Carboys

image-2053388849.jpg

image-110162685.jpg

All in all I was happy with myself Beeing the biggest beer I've done plus first time getting second runnings and just change up my setup a bit! The hole day was a big leap for me and some motivation to finish my system!

sils13 said:
So ya It was a awesome brew day busting out some toys mainly just a pump but I had like 15' of left over copper so I used that as a make shift herms coil in my boil kettle. I olso used my homemade garden hose chiller which worked awesome came out at like 65 degrees from boil so that made me happy I officially love pumps. I ended up going with a 60 minute boil and leaving out all the first 30 min additions which brought my ibu's to like 86sh. I had a pretty solid mash at about 153 degrees started to fall at the end tho hit my gravity rite on the money at 1.110, I also did a second running recirculating that as well hit a O.G. At about 1.049 which I was a ill surprised didn't think it would b that at high but it'll b interesting I think that ended up doing a 90 min boil cause I was a kinda high on my volume I used a similiar hop schedule with that beer! Used a half gallon starter that took off in about 12 hours 3/4 in the big beer 1/4 in the ill guy! Fermentation in the big beer has been insane glad I went start to the blowoff tube and the ill one has been bubbling away! If the big one gets stuck I plan on just racking the lil one into secondary and putting the big one on that yeast cake! To finish it up shooting for 1.024 F.G. c what happens! It looks awesome super dark and a very brown head

Boiling the big boy

Second runnings

Carboys

All in all I was happy with myself Beeing the biggest beer I've done plus first time getting second runnings and just change up my setup a bit! The hole day was a big leap for me and some motivation to finish my system!

Rad.

So little update got curious on the gravity and its about 1.058 I know it was pretty probably a lil early but I wanted to know! This seems a lil high for 4 1/2 days of very aggressive fermentation mayb not tho I've never done a beer above 1.06sh thanks for any replys love this forum!

I brewed this a couple of months ago and it turned out awesome:

10 Gallons
23 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 74.2 %
2 lbs Black (Patent) Malt 6.5 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 6.5 %
2 lbs Special B Malt 6.5 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine 6.5 %

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Pretty roasty with some raisin notes. Compared it side by side to a black butte porter and I though mine was much better. Less chocolate and more roast. Kegged one half after fermentation, and i'm currently aging the other half over wine barrel oak and vanilla beans. Took a sample yesterday after about 5 weeks and I'm getting some subtle oak and vanilla tones. Just enough to notice its there, but not enough to be overpowering. Going to bottle this weekend.

Are you bottling yours? If so, i'd be interested in a trading a bomber for a bomber via mail.

That's awesome it sounds awesome I'd totally b down to trade some bombers ill either keg half of it or just bottle all bombers! I can send a bottle of the second runnings as well if us like we're u located at? I'm in Iowa

Im in Washington. Mine won't be ready for atleast a month, and it doesnt sound like yours will be either so i'll try and remember to drop you a line then. Second runnings sound good too...either way.

So I got some results F.G on the big rite now is 1.030 I would like to get it down a lil more! Its slowly bubbling still like once every 2 minutes mayb and I've hung onto my lil guy incase I needed to restart my big guy! It's F.G is 1.018 which is showing no activity so should I keg that transfer big one onto that yeast cake for a couple days or just keg it ride the other out for a week which I don't think will help much but a couple points. Thanks for the knput

I agree with previous comments - don't use Chocolate malt, black patent or roasted barley for a Black IPA. Go with dehusked carafa II or III or Briess Midnight Wheat if you can source it

Latest posts

Back