yeast starter needed..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I am about to start all-grain so I decided to buy a 2000ml flask and everything needed to start doing yeast starters... I normally buy the white labs tubes of yeast from my LHBS. Do I need to make a starter with these...?? How much water and DME would you add for this type of yeast..?? Thanks everyone..

Jester

Starters are not always necessary, depending on the brew, but still recommended. It is much easier to under-pitch than over-pitch, so you generally can't go wrong by making a starter. Plus, unless you are using Wyeast smack packs, a starter will help you determine whether you have viable yeast or not BEFORE you begin your AG brew.

Jamil's pitching rate calculator is a really handy tool for figuring out how big a starter you will need. You can find it at:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Also, you can check the wiki for instructions on making starters.

If you have the time, also make up a DIY stir plate. Makes the job MUCH easier.

Yes, make a starter. 1:10 ratio DME to water for all wet yeast when making a starter. So if you want to make a 2000ml starter, put 200g of dme into 2000ml of water.

FlyGuy said:
If you have the time, also make up a DIY stir plate. Makes the job MUCH easier.

not only that, but you get so much more yeast!

Back