Which 4 types of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me:
1. IPA
2. Scottish Ale
3. Wheat
4. ESB

Joe Public:
1. Bud Light
2. Budweiser
3. Miller Lite
4. Coors Light

I know you asked for styles but Joe Public doesn't know what stlyes are.

1. Bitter
2. American Wheat
3. American IPA
4. Brown

English bitter for easy drinking.
American Wheat to go with burgers and pizza.
IPA for crazy late night drinking.
Brown for deep thoughts behind the bar.

1. Porter (I find great porters few and far between)
2. IPA/IIPA
3. Scotch Ale
4. German lager(maibock, pilsner especially)

BJCP categories?

No they're Belgians!!

In the mean time, I'll feed the machine, and post both lists.

What I would like (or at least what I try to keep on tap at home):
  • IPA/IIPA
  • Stout/RIS/Seasonal
  • Belgian/Specialty/Experimental
  • Cider/Apfelwein

Trying for mass appeal, but still I wouldn't mind seeing:
  • Lite/Blonde/Golden
  • IPA/IIPA
  • Brown/Stout/Porter (something dark, maybe depends on season e.g. black beer in cold months, brown beer in transition months, and amber beer for hot months)
  • Seasonal (like Holiday Spice or Summer Lemon or other horrible things that should not exist)

me:

1. Seasonal anything
2. A sour- berliner weiss/flander's red
3. porter
4. a malty session beer like an Irish Red, Southern English Brown, Alt, Mild

For joe public:

1. Some kind of American Pale or IPA
2. Wheat Beer like a Hef or a Kolsch
3. A stout or porter
4. seasonal anything

You don't know how many times I go to a bar and I've already had everything, so I go with the seasonal. A changing line up shows that you still are trying things, inventing things, that you still care and aren't stuck to the same four things.

Also, if you're doing market research... what beer void are you opening in that only has four taps? Vegas?

haha.....the beer void that only has one restaurant in the entire town, no local brews and a huge surrounding population it to support it. the perfect place to start up

May get flamed for this, but...

I'm not a fan of most pure German beers.

no, your opinion is valued. I think that a lot of Joe American's think the same way about german beers. I don't happen to agree with them at all, i think german beers are getting a bad rap, but it's a valid point and i'm glad you brought it up. truth is IMHO, germany and belgium made the best beers in the world...............until now. with the microbrew revolution in full swing, America makes the best beer, hands down. Beer purists may disagree, but we OWN innovation, craft beer is the future, germans and belgians are like fine wines, they'll always be good, but America is too impatient, we want options, i.e. "oh S, this beer is made with twizzlers! i want it!"

Me:
1. IPA
2. Scottish Ale
3. Wheat
4. ESB

Joe Public:
1. Bud Light
2. Budweiser
3. Miller Lite
4. Coors Light

I know you asked for styles but Joe Public doesn't know what stlyes are.

yeah, of course Joe will get the requisite piss water, it would be a terrible business model otherwise, but there has to be in-house options available to convert these people. for example, i see more and more people ordering yeunglings now.....people who used to order bud lights, so it proves they're taking a step in the right direction, they just need to keep stepping.

So we're looking at maybe a line-up of: piss water, piss water light, IPA, wheat/weiss, porter/stout, some sort of ale (amber, pale, irish red?), piss water ice, piss water ultra piss, yeungling, seasonal and/or imperial

whatdaya guys think? and by all means, continue to post your lists

...oh and what about an american style begian white? no one mentioned that at all. and i don't mean blue moon, more like Flying Dog Woody Creek (awesome brew).

my opinion on blue moon: it's terrible. if you have to put fruit in your beer, it's a bad beer. oh, "try it with an orange slice," really? well if i put cheese on my broccoli, it tastes better too

I would say
Pale Ale
Stout
IPA
Seasonal or Wit bier atm

Wife Says
Red
Stout
Vienna Lager
Amber

i appreciate your wife's opinions, and personally, i love her list, but there's no way a bar can get by w/o an IPA these days. IPAs are all the rage, gotta have one on tap

i appreciate your wife's opinions, and personally, i love her list, but there's no way a bar can get by w/o an IPA these days. IPAs are all the rage, gotta have one on tap

She did follow that list saying she has been in a malty beer mood. She actually tends to be more of a hophead than me at times.

Just wish we could get into the same beer mood at the same time. Ahh the troubles of a new Marriage. haha

Pale
Oatmeal Stout
Hefe/Wit
Blonde
*Plus a seasonal if possible*

This would satisfy the general public and hopefully beer nerds alike. This should give a nice amount of diversity too.

yeah, of course Joe will get the requisite piss water, it would be a terrible business model otherwise, but there has to be in-house options available to convert these people. for example, i see more and more people ordering yeunglings now.....people who used to order bud lights, so it proves they're taking a step in the right direction, they just need to keep stepping.

So we're looking at maybe a line-up of: piss water, piss water light, IPA, wheat/weiss, porter/stout, some sort of ale (amber, pale, irish red?), piss water ice, piss water ultra piss, yeungling, seasonal and/or imperial

whatdaya guys think? and by all means, continue to post your lists

Hey, best of luck to ya! I would look for easy drinking "crossover" beers- you mention yeungling, but definitely look at your wheat/weiss beers, and maybe some kind of amber lager/hybrid lager? It also depends if you have the resources to lager I guess...

Definitely put up a sign that says something like: "If you like horse piss, [insert BMC name here] then try our [whatever you brewed that could be similar style wise]."

As for the "you always have to have an IPA now" think about your clientele carefully. If they're not terribly up on the beer scene, you may not have high demand for one. Maybe you settle for something like a hoppy APA instead of going full bore.

Back