Sanke->Corny->Corny transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin

Reaction score
I've looked & can't find anything like I want to do.

What I want to do is transfer from a 1/6 sanke into two 3g cornys in series, all in one shot. Basically do a normal transfer but from the gas in post of the first corny run a jumper to the beverage out of the second corny & bleed pressure there (at the second). What I'm thinking is that when the first corny is full with beer still flowing in from the 1/6 any that doesn't fit in the first will go to the second. Really just trying to save a bit of time & prevent/minamize any loss of nectar as the 1/6 will be empty before the 2x3g cornys will be full.

Anyone done this? Will it work?

You can jump into one, but I can't see how you can go from one corny to the other. Unless you remove the gas dip tube and replace it with a bev dip tube ... Because you would want to come in to the first corny from the Bev Out. I suppose you could let it fill until the beer hits the Gas In side, and have a jumper from that to the second corny's Bev Out side. Could work.

I suppose you could let it fill until the beer hits the Gas In side, and have a jumper from that to the second corny's Bev Out side. Could work.

That what I was planing. From the sanke to the bev out on the first corny, when that one is full the beer will go out the gas in post thru a jumper to the bev out post of the second corny with a relief valve on the gas in post (of the 2nd). Path of least resistance makes me think it will work.

I have a 15 gal sanke fermenter and I'm planning on doing something like this but I don't think I want to have zero headspace in my cornies. Would be messy and would make carbing in the corny difficult, right? I don't want beer to spew out into my gas line every time a switch to a new keg in my keezer.

I got this idea from a thread that I can't find any more, but if you do a daisy chain of cornies like you are suggesting, use a counterpressure/spunding/bleeder valve on the last one, and put the keg you're filling on a scale, you could approximate a full keg by weight and then just disconnect from the fermenter and reconnect to your next keg. No mess, easy. Just have to know ahead of time what a full keg weighs.

OK, this is totally geeky and I don't think I'd actually do this, but it would satisfy your intents:

Before your beverage in's coming from your keg, you could buy 2 of these (if you're trying to fill 3 cornies like me):

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/hoses/y_fittings/898B_beer_y_fitting.shtml

and thread one onto another to make a 3 port beverage manifold daisy chain (no one makes these, only y splitters like this one). I called them and they hooked one up to make sure the threads fit together. All you'd need is a washer in between.

and then have all your gas outs hooked up to a 3 way gas manifold that has your bleeder valve after that.

That way all 3 kegs fill to the same level since they are the same pressure.

That's pretty geeky, but it would work. Of course, you'd need the appropriate nipples and washers to hook up the hoses, etc..

EDIT- I re-read that you only want to fill 2 kegs, so one of these splitters would work and a 2 way gas manifold. What'ya think?

EDIT 2- Actually, now that I think about it, I don't know if I have the gas end of this worked out yet. What with the manifold and check valves and all...

To me that seems like it would have more resistance at the 2nd "y" & tend to push more beer thru the single side of the first split.

I guess the higher the pressure you are supplying counter pressuring with, the more that that issue would be mitigated, then. I think?

Anyhoo, I'm don't understand why that would be the case though, since everything is 3/8". Beer line, nipples, splitters... Good point, though.

I think its more of a volume/flow problem not pressure. At the first split, 1/2 goes to 1 keg & 1/2 goes to 2 kegs. The 1 keg will fill faster & then with all the kegs on the same relief valve continue to overfill & dump out the relief valve. For 3 kegs anyway. For 2 kegs this could work as long as the resistance is equal on both sides... if one QD opens a popit more than the other or there's a tighter bend in one beer line there will be a difference in resistance & flow. It may be a small difference but one keg will fill faster & overflow.

All theory at this point.

Latest posts

Back