Kentucky Common Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I were to do an extract version of this, would just letting the specialty grains steep for a day at warm temps (instead of 30 mins) be the method? Maybe add a little yogurt or kraut juice?

I am a huge fan of sauerkraut and other lacto fermented items, so I'll bet I would like this beer.

Honestly I don't see how you can do this beer as an extract and have it come out near the AG version. The high attenuation and corn character would be tough to do any other way. I'm not saying it can't be done but I think you's have to do a lot of experimenting to get there... I'd suggest scaling the batch down and doing stovetop all-grain for better results.

I just finished brewing a version of this beer:
7lbs 2-row
1lb flaked corn
0.5lb crystal 40
0.25lb chocolate
0.25lb flaked barley
0.7oz nugget 60min
0.5oz fuggles 5min

I was a little intrigued when I checked my mlt after 24hrs: Nappy smell and a white growth all over the grain.
I did a half batch/fly seat of the pants sparge. The idea was to add 1.5 gallons of boiling mashout water and then fly sparge the remainder. It worked out pretty well.

I must say the wort sample tasted amazing! Just the right amount of sourness... Can't wait to taste this once its finished!

I just finished brewing a version of this beer:
7lbs 2-row
1lb flaked corn
0.5lb crystal 40
0.25lb chocolate
0.25lb flaked barley
0.7oz nugget 60min
0.5oz fuggles 5min

I was a little intrigued when I checked my mlt after 24hrs: Nappy smell and a white growth all over the grain.
I did a half batch/fly seat of the pants sparge. The idea was to add 1.5 gallons of boiling mashout water and then fly sparge the remainder. It worked out pretty well.

I must say the wort sample tasted amazing! Just the right amount of sourness... Can't wait to taste this once its finished!

Good to hear. Post up your results.

Brewed this one day and didn't want to run to the LHBS so I just subbed some American crystals for the Belgians I had on hand.

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.004
SRM: 18*
IBU: 28
ABV: 4.9%
5.5lbs 2-row
1lb FLaked Corn
.5lb CaraVienna
.25lb British Chocolate Malt
.25 Special B
1.75oz Willamette @ 4.8% 60mins
Yeast: Notty

The CaraVienna is 22L and the Special B is 175L.
Just kegged it tonight, but warm and flat, it was quit interesting. Sour but not offputting by any means. It'll be interesting to taste it later this week cold and carbed.

I finally got this on tap! and its definitely going into the rotation, i might pick up on the 12 hour mash tho....

A little too sour? My batches started becoming more sour than I wanted, so my last batch I did a 18hr mash and it's fantastic. Going to brew that recipe with an 18hr mash multiple times and see what happens. Glad you like it. What recipe did you do again?

i dunno... its in this thread, and im drunk. maybe ill post tomorrow. its not sour at all! its a nice base brown,... that could SOOO benefit from sour... but mdhb had no corn :'(

When you sparge, umpteen hours later, do you Batch or Fly? Do you also preform a MO? What are your temps for Sparging and if you have growth do you scrape then sparge?

Looks like a great brew. Want to try this for my next one.

Thanks

Warren

i always sparge at 168, Im not sure if youll have growth after 12 hours... im gogin for 18 next time! i always batch, but thats just me, if you have the **** to fly... then do it!

A little too sour? My batches started becoming more sour than I wanted, so my last batch I did a 18hr mash and it's fantastic. Going to brew that recipe with an 18hr mash multiple times and see what happens. Glad you like it. What recipe did you do again?

not sour enough, went to the brew store and they are out of flaked corn :'(

I did 5 lbs 6row, 2 lb corn, 4 oz crystal 20, 1 oz chocolate, and 1 oz styrian goldings, i also did this in a rain storm so it was no chill :D

Yea I always batch sparge at 168. I actually do a double batch sparge. I haven't had any nasty growth since my first few batches, but when I did I just scraped and sparged as normal. I really like the small amount of sourness, just barely perceptible but still makes it unique.

I just took my first sample of a two week old Kentucky Common....
I used a 24 hour mash, the "standard" grist, and 0.5 oz Amarillo hops at FWH and 60 mins.
This is one interesting beer. The smell is fairly standard, but the flavor is unique. There is a slight sourness at the start, followed by the lovely Amarillos, and finishing with a lingering sour touch. There is something in the flavor that touches on "slightly fermented slightly rotten fruit". SWMBO loves it uncarbed. I'm looking forward to getting this carbed on tap.

Sounds good, except for the rotten fruit part, hah. I've never got that. Hope it's good though!

I just brewed another recipe not using a sour mash. Just brewed it as a standard beer. The 1902 book doesn't mention anything about souring, only other sources say some brewers did. I'm interested as to how it is without the souring. So far I think my Recipe #3 with the 18hr mash has been the best. We'll see how these next 2 turn out. Brewing the same, non-soured recipe Wednesday, except bumping the specialty grains up a little.

After a couple more batches and monitoring fermentation closely, I am going to try a <5 day KY Common, kegging before fermentation is finished, thus carbonating itself in the keg.

Odaniel,

Have you made a version a little more hop forward yet? Thinking of making my same recipe and adding some Chinook at FWH for a little more hop flavor. Probably won't dry hop it, but the thought crossed my mind!

Not yet. I plan to at some point. Lately I've been brewing them with no souring of any kind, just a 90 minute mash. Very pleased with them. I took a few growlers to a cookout and everyone LOVED the latest one I did completely to style (for real this time, haha) according to the 1902 book, which does not mention souring of any kind. A couple friends want kegs of it. I just brewed 20gal of a recipe that is just over 5% (the one completely to style was about 4.4%) with an ounce more of the specialty grains. Those are going to a couple parties. I still need to try it with black patent instead of chocolate malt, but doubt it will be as good. The 1902 book doesn't mention when to add the hops. If you try it let me know how it is!

ODaniel,

Your blog has been down for the last couple of weeks. Can you post the recipe for your most recent attempt, the one without the souring?

Cheers!
Kevin

This is for 90% efficiency. Use 6-row, a good crush, 1.5 qt/lb mash for 90 min, double batch sparge letting it sit for 15 min at least each time, and you should get it. Everyone wants kegs of this. I'll probably only do a special sour mash version every once and awhile, but this is to style, and will always be on tap at my house.

I may be getting on at an upcoming brewery in the next year or 2 and will probably brew this there if it happens. Someone I know is wanting to start a very special type of brewery and she said the business plan just got approved. She asked if I would be interested in brewing there. Hope it works out for both of us.

Recipe: O'Daniel's Kentucky Common 1902 v2
Brewer: O'Daniel
Asst Brewer:
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 29.63 %
2.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.85 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.85 %
0.75 oz Cluster [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.75 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Step Add 10.13 qt of water at 163.3 F 150.0 F

ODaniel,

Thanks man, I hope the brewing gig works out.

I will probably be brewing my Kentucky Common in a couple weeks. I am going to use a 75/25 grains/adjucts split. If it turns out well, I'll be re-brewing a sour version this summer. I'm going to use a mix of flaked barley and flaked rye for the adjucts; I just finished a brew with corn and want to do something different. Here is the recipe I plan to use.

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%

Estimated OG: 1.048
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated IBUs: 27
Estimated SRM: 14

7 lb, 2 oz 6-Row (71%)
1 lb, 8 oz Flaked Barley (15%)
1 lb Flaked Rye (10%)
3 oz Crystal 80L (2%)
3 oz Black Malt (2%)

1 oz Northern Brewer [7.00%] @ 60 min.

Safale US-05

I consistently get ~70% eff. from my system, so my grainbill is size to that. Since I'm not doing the sour mash, I don't think this number will rocket up like other people are experiencing. I'll check back after I brew.

Cheers!
Kevin

ODaniel,

Thanks man, I hope the brewing gig works out.

I will probably be brewing my Kentucky Common in a couple weeks. I am going to use a 75/25 grains/adjucts split. If it turns out well, I'll be re-brewing a sour version this summer. I'm going to use a mix of flaked barley and flaked rye for the adjucts; I just finished a brew with corn and want to do something different. Here is the recipe I plan to use.

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%

Estimated OG: 1.048
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated IBUs: 27
Estimated SRM: 14

7 lb, 2 oz 6-Row (71%)
1 lb, 8 oz Flaked Barley (15%)
1 lb Flaked Rye (10%)
3 oz Crystal 80L (2%)
3 oz Black Malt (2%)

1 oz Northern Brewer [7.00%] @ 60 min.

Safale US-05

I consistently get ~70% eff. from my system, so my grainbill is size to that. Since I'm not doing the sour mash, I don't think this number will rocket up like other people are experiencing. I'll check back after I brew.

Cheers!
Kevin

Thanks man. Good deal. It will probably be pretty different, but let me know how it turns out. I have come to find out the sour mash really doesnt affect efficiency much, if at all. Without the sour mash I have been averaging 94% efficiency. My efficiency really depends on the size of my grain bill. Imperial styles I average 70-75%. I think the small grain bill, paired the the 6-row and corn (and the other techniques I mentioned above) really helps this to be a high efficiency. Good luck!

Back