modifying mini fridge, need colder temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabejavitt

Reaction score
hello all,

I've been a long time reader on the forum, and I need your help. I got a mini fridge a while ago off of craiglist for a good deal, but it only gets down to low fifties. I've already put a pc fan in to circulate air over the freezer plate to get it colder which made about a 5 degrees difference. Also just tried adjusting the course adjustment screw to try and get it colder, so far hasn't changed anything.

Does anyone know anymore adjustments to try and get it colder.

I took the reading from the compressor which is running around 120 farenheit, does anyone know if a fan there would shade off some more degrees.

Any help would be appreciated

-Gabe

Before you get too far down the road, what are you using to measure the temperature, and how confident are you in that device?

Otherwise, how often does the mini-fridge compressor cycle? If it's running constantly and still not getting below say 40°F, there's a chance it's low on coolant, or you have a major air ingression (check the gaskets?)

Cheers!

any chance this is a beverage Cooler with a Peltier setup? I've got one an it only cools to about 20 degrees below ambient. Its ok, but has limited capabilities as a ferm chamber.

using an infrared thermometer, seems pretty accurate, how would i know if it were low on coolant though??

I wish there was a cut 'n dried answer, but unless your fridge has a coolant sight glass (which are pretty darned rare these days) I don't think there is.

If you set it to a reasonable temperature goal - say 40°F - and it just keeps running and never gets there, that might be the best clue...

Cheers!

Back