how long to lager an IpA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligans

Reaction score
Ok So I had a custom made AG IPA that I made that has been in the primary for three weeks.... I kegged it this morning and wondering any suggestions best length to age an IPA in the fridge... ?

NONE!!!!!

After 6 weeks WARM, then fridge it.

The fridge will slowly remove aroma and bitterness as your beer lagers.

I made it too bitter for my liking so your saying if I let it sit a month in the fridge it will remove the bitterness

a little.

More loss of flavor and aroma.

How many kegs are empty?

I would half and half it in 2 kegs, and then brew a weak pale ale to cut them with.

I did this a while back with great results, I did 3/4 in one and 1/4 in the other so that I ended up with a less bitter IPA and a respectable pale ale.

a little.

More loss of flavor and aroma.

How many kegs are empty?

I would half and half it in 2 kegs, and then brew a weak pale ale to cut them with.

I did this a while back with great results, I did 3/4 in one and 1/4 in the other so that I ended up with a less bitter IPA and a respectable pale ale.

dude that is a great Idea... I would do that but I think it will be torrable once its carbonated.. for some reason beer always taste different when carbonated... but to give you and Idea how bittler it is ... ... hop schedue as follows 3 oz cascade at 60, 1 oz of perlie at 15, 1 oz of cascade at 5... did not dry hop for some dumb reason.. but I should have sperad out the cascade a little better.. I have two kegs but need it for a pumpkin ale soon..... :(

Did you add that recipe up on software before you brewed or did you just wing it? You would need a giant malt bill to match up with those IBUs. I get 73 - 93 IBU depending on the algorithm used which is closer to a DIPA. One oz of cascade saved for DH would have been perfect. Oh well, live and learn.

That's a Double for sure! Maybe you'll like it more in a couple weeks.

I do this every time I make an IpA I try it before I cool it and carb it... Well I tried it today and it tastes like pure heaven... This was the first time I skipped secondary and the beer was just as clear... but I did use Irish moss.... I guess I just worry too much but .. thats you guys for all your advice...and Happy brewing.

give you and Idea how bittler it is ... ... hop schedue as follows 3 oz cascade at 60, 1 oz of perlie at 15, 1 oz of cascade at 5...

uhh....That's Pale Ale Territory. My last IPA had 3oz of Columbus and 1 oz of Warrior @ 60 minutes. Don't even ask what was at 30, 15, and 0.

You need to man-up your taste buds. :) :mug:

Put it away in the fridge, brew something else and taste it later...WAAAYY later!
The first thing to disappear in any beer is the hop profile (unless you're dry hopping in the keg or something). I had a blond ale that was so overhopped it was nothing but pasture-grass... After a year in the fridge it was one of the best beers we ever made.

Time will heal...

-Kev

Back